Argentine diver rescued - Lake Garda, Italy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
It sounds like he had a couple of gastric ulcers that made him lose consciousness in the dive. I don't know if that is accurate or not; can that happen? Other divers recovered him, he arrived onshore in cardiac arrest, but was revived with CPR - always worth trying with a recent death. The google translation is confusing and the text seems to repeat at times, but that seems to be the basic story. Here's the link and that translation...

Migliora il sub in arresto cardiaco nel lago
AG is gradually recovering, the 28-year-old diver, of Argentine origins, who on Thursday evening re-emerged in cardiac arrest from the waters of Lake Garda, on the lakeside of Torri del Benàco, rescued by a diving partner and by some passers-by and then brought to the hospital in Brescia with the helicopter rescue of 118. This is confirmed by the diver's brother, 31 years old, who lives with the 28 year old in San Pietro in Cariano. "Fortunately he is now well," he says happily, "seems out of danger while remaining under observation. This morning (yesterday for the reader, editor's note) I managed to talk to him for a few moments », continues the brother. "He was operated on urgently for two gastric ulcers that most likely caused him to faint in water and lose consciousness." AG, Thursday evening, around 9 pm, he was with three other diving companions, including an instructor, in front of one of the points most frequented by enthusiasts, at the height of the slide near the underwater nativity scene on the Vittorio Veneto lakefront, in the historic center of Torri. The first who noticed the illness was one of the other three divers who, before he went down to the bottom, managed to bring his companion, unconscious, to the surface, from about twenty meters deep. Once dragged to the shore, three citizens of Torri came to the aid - Silvia Vedovelli, together with their brother Paolo and their father Enrico - who passed by there casually at that time and, guided by telephone by the operators of 118 of VeronaEmergenza, they rescued the twenty-eight, also helping the other diver. The doctors then continued with the resuscitation by transferring the intubated man to the hospital in Brescia by helicopter. The vehicle had meanwhile landed in the spaces next to the parking lot behind the Scaliger castle. Two ambulances also arrived on site, the firefighters, the carabinieri of Torri and Malcesine, as well as Paolo Loncrini, an urban policeman who was there at the time, albeit out of service and who called for help, and also to the mayor Stefano Nicotra who together with Leonardo Vedovelli and Christian Fava Salorni of the Civil Protection of Torri was a few hundred meters from the accident site. The three were in fact in the church square to organize the meeting that took place yesterday afternoon with local merchants. Everyone rushed to the crash site. Silvia Vedovelli, which among other things is part of the Civil Protection of Desenzano thanks to which he had followed a first aid course, he still has those terrible moments before his eyes. "When I saw the diver come out of the water I immediately imagined that it was an accident," he says. "We got closer and immediately got to work practicing the cardiac massage to the boy, also helping the dive buddy, exhausted by fatigue", says Vedovelli. "He was having difficulty breathing," he continues, "he gasped, his lips dark. He was unconscious for a while, then recovered and the heart started beating faster. Without immediate intervention, I fear he would not have made it. " Even the brother of the diver who risked dying returns on what happened, thanking the rescuers, starting from the diver who brought his partner back to the surface. «He saved my brother by practicing cardiac massage with a girl (Silvia Vedovelli, editor's note) whom I thank very much, together with the other health workers. They really are heroes. ' Finally, the diver's brother stresses that the 28-year-old is an expert diver. «It was the first time that he immersed himself in Garda but he has a license», he underlines. «He is not a beginner. Has some experience. He is a sportsman ». It remains to be understood exactly why the group of divers was still in the water at such a late hour, after a prolonged period of inactivity caused by the health emergency that broke out with Covid-19. The brother of the sub admitted to Brescia specifies however: "It was foreseen in the program of the new specialization course that my brother was following". • «He saved my brother by practicing cardiac massage with a girl (Silvia Vedovelli, editor's note) whom I thank very much, together with the other health workers. They really are heroes. ' Finally, the diver's brother stresses that the 28-year-old is an expert diver. "It was the first time he immersed himself in Garda but he has a license," he underlines. «He is not a beginner. Has some experience. He is a sportsman ». It remains to be understood exactly why the group of divers was still in the water at such a late hour, after a prolonged period of inactivity caused by the health emergency that broke out with Covid-19. The brother of the sub admitted to Brescia specifies however: "It was foreseen in the program of the new specialization course that my brother was following". • «He saved my brother by practicing cardiac massage with a girl (Silvia Vedovelli, editor's note) whom I thank very much, together with the other health workers. They really are heroes. ' Finally, the diver's brother stresses that the 28-year-old is an expert diver. "It was the first time he immersed himself in Garda but he has a license," he underlines. «He is not a beginner. Has some experience. He is a sportsman ». It remains to be understood exactly why the group of divers was still in the water at such a late hour, after a prolonged period of inactivity caused by the health emergency that broke out with Covid-19. The brother of the sub admitted to Brescia specifies however: "It was foreseen in the program of the new specialization course that my brother was following". • together with the other health workers. They really are heroes. ' Finally, the diver's brother stresses that the 28-year-old is an expert diver. "It was the first time he immersed himself in Garda but he has a license," he underlines. «He is not a beginner. Has some experience. He is a sportsman ». It remains to be understood exactly why the group of divers was still in the water at such a late hour, after a prolonged period of inactivity caused by the health emergency that broke out with Covid-19. The brother of the sub admitted to Brescia specifies however: "It was foreseen in the program of the new specialization course that my brother was following". • together with the other health workers. They really are heroes. ' Finally, the diver's brother stresses that the 28-year-old is an expert diver. "It was the first time he immersed himself in Garda but he has a license," he underlines. «He is not a beginner. Has some experience. He is a sportsman ». It remains to be understood exactly why the group of divers was still in the water at such a late hour, after a prolonged period of inactivity caused by the health emergency that broke out with Covid-19. The brother of the sub admitted to Brescia specifies however: "It was foreseen in the program of the new specialization course that my brother was following". • "It was the first time he immersed himself in Garda but he has a license," he underlines. «He is not a beginner. Has some experience. He is a sportsman ». It remains to be understood exactly why the group of divers was still in the water at such a late hour, after a prolonged period of inactivity caused by the health emergency that broke out with the Covid-19. The brother of the sub admitted to Brescia specifies however: "It was foreseen in the program of the new specialization course that my brother was following". • "It was the first time he immersed himself in Garda but he has a license," he underlines. «He is not a beginner. Has some experience. He is a sportsman ». It remains to be understood exactly why the group of divers was still in the water at such a late hour, after a prolonged period of inactivity caused by the health emergency that broke out with the Covid-19. The brother of the sub admitted to Brescia specifies however: "It was foreseen in the program of the new specialization course that my brother was following". • The brother of the sub admitted to Brescia specifies however: "It was foreseen in the program of the new specialization course that my brother was following". • The brother of the sub admitted to Brescia specifies however: "It was foreseen in the program of the new specialization course that my brother was following".

Interesting description. If the ulcer perforates through the stomach wall, it could cause him to get sick really fast. The most interesting question is if it was a diving related accident or if it accidentally happened while diving... I wonder if change in intraabdominal pressure upon descend or ascend pushed gastric contents through the pre-existing ulcer...

It appears they were doing the night dive for an advanced certification (possibly AOW), 3 students under the control of an instructor.
From what I have read it is not a diving accident, it just happened while diving, but there was no relation with any diving technical problem.
Here the first news on the accident: Malore a 20 metri di profondità: sub 28enne gravissimo - Prima Verona

Interesting description. If the ulcer perforates through the stomach wall, it could cause him to get sick really fast. The most interesting question is if it was a diving related accident or if it accidentally happened while diving... I wonder if change in intraabdominal pressure upon descend or ascend pushed gastric contents through the pre-existing ulcer...

A colleague had an ulcer perforate pretty much on its own a while back, I think he just looked up at solar eclipse or something. The trick was that he was taking antihistamines for allergies and pump blockers for heartburn, and as it turns out that combo was enough to mask all symptoms all the way to ER.

Back
Top Bottom