Arizona couple share Malaysia boat sinking experience

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are approximately 2-3000 shipping containers lost overboard every year world wide. I'll find the citation. Some go down with the cargo vessel, some get loose and a stack will fall overboard. Usually they sink or float, no problem. If the cargo is something like drums of lube, they will fill with water and become neutrally buoyant. They will float at or just below the surface, and that's something every mariner dreads and hopes they never see/come in contact with in the middle of the night.

All liferafts deploy upside down in the wind, it's inherent to liferafts. That's why there are righting lines and water buckets on the bottom. Once you get it righted, the buckets fill with water and it becomes ballasted. If the liferaft painter was near the righting lines, you would have had to right the liferaft into the wind, an almost impossible task. Any mariner who makes international voyages from a country subject to IMO regulations has to go to school to learn how to properly deploy a liferaft. I don't know what country the Oriental Siren was flagged, but liveaboard dive operators tend to seek out countries to flag in that are not signatory, which reduces operating costs significantly. Like to the tune of 10-25,000 dollars per year for inspections and mandatory training.

So, do you want your crew trained to properly right an upside down liferaft, or do you want to save a hundred bucks on your dive trip? The answer is obviously clear, and we asked this specific question in a recent survey we held. Divers overwhelmingly (94%) don't care about their own safety involving air tests, vessel inspections or crew training, they'd rather save a hundred bucks on the trip. Go for it.

I see claims in the other thread of "They were rescued by the navy’s KD Ganas vessel," and indeed after googling as suggested in the story - the top story is about "Malaysia's navy has rescued 26 people, including tourists from Britain, Japan and the US, after their sailing boat sank in stormy weather off Borneo island."

I think I believe the AZ couple's story, supported by the statement on the company's site: http://worldwidediveandsail.com/ourboats/90/348.html

I don't guess PLBs worked or Nautilus units would have helped, since the Navy wasn't listening and wouldn't go out anyway.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom