Article: Manila Airport Bullet-in-a-Bag Scam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So the cling film wrapping of the luggage is doing a roaring business in the airport.
The Inquirer net had story on three suspects admitting that the bullets were used as amulet!! An elderly lady was found to have a bullet inside her plastic wrapped luggage as it was opened in front of her lawyer. A domestic help was also found to have a bullet wrapped in a cloth inside her luggage.

Just type "bullet found in luggage" and see what you get on line.

Last edited:
Centrals, I had no idea until I ran the search you suggested. It is referred to as the "laglag-bala” scam and has happened at multiple airports in the PI.

The "bullets" were discovered on the routine X-ray examination at the entrance to the airport terminal. If you have been to any Pinoy's airport you will notice that there is always a queue of passengers or whatnot waiting to have their belongs X-ray. Trying to put something into someone else luggage is highly difficult because there are so many watching eyes. To even suggest deep inside the suitcase or wrapped inside a cloth is laughable.
Of course the culprit denied any knowledge of it for the obvious reason(heavy fine).
This remind me a story reported few yrs ago about an Australian couple who claimed someone had put a pack of dope into their belongings. And they had discovered it before they went to the airport........it was their story and the press loved it.

Traveled back from Manila last Wednesday. No issues at all. Tho this is real, in the whole scheme of things, the percentage of people who have been arrested are tiny compared to the number passing through the airport.

I also traveled back into PI from DEMA a few days ok, I had no problems at all. Now that this bullet scam has made international news that will probably be the end of it.....until they think of something new :)

Returned from Manila Nov 22! The "laglag-bala”, is big news! Most of the 'Finding's', are people who are being given bullets as 'good luck', memento's for their safe trip home! An 87 year old woman carrying a .357 magnum bullet! She might not be able to carry such a gun. let alone shoot it, fragile bones!
Just in case we wrapped up our luggage before going to the Airport! We were in the minority tho, with wrapped luggage! There are concerns about this
"laglag-bala” extending to other airports in the Philippines, and other countries, but no firm reoports yet!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom