Atomic Venom Mask: Worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

filmguy123

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Spendy!

Atomic Aquatics Venom Mask

Would this mask be worth it over, say, a more "normal" good quality mask around the $90 pricepoint?

If so, why?
If not, what other recommendations?

I know the most important factor is fit, and everything else is secondary... but beyond that?

Yes, it's the only mask until now that fits my face.

Haha love the "no" and "yes" answers.

Disregarding how it may fit perfectly, assuming I can find another mask that fits equally as perfect: "why" yes or no to the Venom? Total overkill? What supposedly makes it worth twice the price, OR, why is it a bit of an excessive waste?

I use Atomic Frameless masks and these:
dx-401106-uc_1.jpg
for 25 bucks from DGX.

Last edited:
assuming I can find another mask that fits equally as perfect: "why" yes or no to the Venom? What supposedly makes it worth twice the price, OR, why is it a bit of an excessive waste?[/QUOTE]

Now you're just being silly.

Why? As stated in my first post, fit is obviously the most important thing.

Beyond that, this mask is twice as expensive as every other mask I've seen out there. WHY?

This is a question about understanding masks and materials, not about finding a fit

Why? As stated in my first post, fit is obviously the most important thing.

Beyond that, this mask is twice as expensive as every other mask I've seen out there. WHY?

This is a question about understanding masks and materials, not about finding a fit

Why is a non-material Tesla worth more than 5 cents?

What Atomic Aquatics claims:

"
  • New UltraClear Schott Superwite™™ glass lens with exceptional optical clarity.
  • Patented SubFrame design with hydrodynamic styling and no external frame.
  • Double-layer, dual-color silicone skirt keeps the mask comfortably secure.
  • One-window / low volume design for unobstructed forward vision and wide viewing angles.
  • Simple squeeze-to-adjust mask strap
  • Lifetime warranty against frame breakage.
"

The page you linked goes on to explain why they consider that glass a big feature. I suppose you'd have to put one on, then another mask or more, in the same conditions on the same day, to see if you could tell the difference.

Do you care much about low volume and frameless design?

They note the product was a ScubaLabs 2013 Testers' Choice. Here's their 2013 review page. Here's what they actually said about the mask:

"ATOMIC AQUATICS VENOM (TESTERS' CHOICE)

Single-lens mask

The Venom is a high-concept mask, with performance as good as its looks. Built a bit larger than others in this test, with its reinforcing internal frame and double-layer, dual-color silicone skirt, the Venom is really comfortable on the face. But what’s immediately noticeable is the excellent horizontal view it provides, by far the best in this group. This is due to a large lens that flares out on its outside edges, made from a high-quality glass imported from Germany called Schott Superwite that allows more light in to brighten the underwater view. The squeeze-button buckles are soft-mounted to the mask skirt, which provides a bit of flexibility in strap positioning, plus they can be folded flat for packing. It’s a winning design that earned the Testers Choice in the single-lens category."

Scuba Labs has Dive Masks: ScubaLab Tests the Best Scuba MasksDive Masks: ScubaLab Tests the Best Scuba Masks. It talks about some features of masks that might give you some insight. Of the Atomic Aquatics Frameless 2 Mask, they report:

"Atomic Aquatics Frameless 2

The frameless design and soft silicone skirt bring the broad single lens of the Frameless 2 in close for a comfortable, panoramic view with no frame to rub the face or block the view. The lens is of a low-iron glass that reduces distortion, and despite its size, the volume of the mask is noticeably small, making it easy to clear and equalize. The buckles are just right, with a mechanism that adjusts easily and stays put. They swivel only side to side, but are mounted on silicone tabs that allow some up-and-down movement. Both the skirt and the strap are very comfortable. The skirt, strap and buckle helped the Frameless 2 take the highest scores in our test for adjustment and comfort, earning excellent ratings for both. The mask is available in three sizes for optimal fit (we tested the standard size, which fit most of our divers well). The Frameless 2 was our Testers Choice for single-lens masks.

Price $139 Contact atomicaquatics.com"

The Venom wasn't even in the tested list. Interesting.

I've not dove a Venom. A few years back, I bought an Atomic Aquatics subframe mask. It's one of 2 types of mask that fit me with a pretty good deal. If I didn't keep it diligently equalized it felt like someone pressing something hard into my skull right between the eyes, but I'm guessing that was a problem with that individual mask, not the whole line. The type of mask that works well with me is the AquaLung SeaQuest Visage, which I picked up for around $30. Comfortable and works well for me, and a lot cheaper.

When solo diving, I stick the Atomic in my BCD pocket as a backup mask, and the lower profile is useful in that cramped space.

Richard.

Bonus for me is the the view it provides. I have used a Scubapro frameless mask which was good, but the venom provides execellent view angle and clarity. More than any other mask I have tried. I have tried about 5 or 6 masks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom