Atomic Venom Mask: Worth it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

$90 is cheap if fits to your face...

I wear $15 low volume mask double lens taiwanese made...and it fits to my face

Great mask. Kinda blingy. But it seals well enough that I wear contacts with it.

Get the lighter out though. You'l never be able to scrub it clean with toothpaste. So I didn't try the colored lens because I was afraid of cooking the coating off.

drrich2 I also dive with an atomic subframe mask and have the same issue. It fits great but if not properly equalized it provides me with a quite painful point up on my forehear between my eyes. Going to try a new mask for my upcoming first trip to coz in november.

Spendy!

Atomic Aquatics Venom Mask

Would this mask be worth it over, say, a more "normal" good quality mask around the $90 pricepoint?

If so, why?
If not, what other recommendations?

I know the most important factor is fit, and everything else is secondary... but beyond that?
If you like it it's worth the money. If you like a less expensive mask it's not worth the money. Your question is silly to start with. Are you looking for an excuse to buy it?

Online reviews enticed me to the Venom mask , but when I tried it in a store, I did not like it so much. It felt kinda heavy. I was after a wide viewing angle/field most of all. As a result, I purchased an Oceanic Shadow mask for 50$ which was lighter and offered a wider outlook.

Last edited:
Also seen some very stellar reviews and a friend with expensive taste swears by it. I can't find any local stores that stock it.

Currently leaning towards the Hollis M1 which seems very similar. Wasn't sure if the Venom's lens system or softer silicone was really worth the extra coin. Some also are very impressed with the way it seals over facial hair (I'm guessing due to the softer silicone).

My husband has a very hard to fit face. Me, not at all. He'd pay $1,000 for a mask that fit him without leaking. But on a recent trip to Coz, he told the people on the boat of his plight, and a fellow diver offered my husband his CHEAP spare mask to try. Ugly as hell. But guess what? It did not leak!!! And guess what make it was? "CHEAPO"! It was actually called "CHEAPO"! Yup, some generic brand of mask. Apparently, the dive shop uses that type of mask as their rental fleet. :acclaim:

Masks are so personal - it's worth it if it works for you.

I wear a Tusa Freedom One Pro in all black and I love it. They claim to have some fancy schmancy glass too, crystal view, anti relfective, UV etc. but what I like is the low volume of it and low profile but I still have excellent field of vision. It's light and fits my face well, barely tell it's on! I paid about $150 but I bought it while on vacation when my other mask started leaking. I don't know if I would have paid that much if I wasn't desperate but I like it so much that I'd pay more to replace it lol!

Currently leaning towards the Hollis M1 which seems very similar.

I already have masks I like, but, at LP I tried on for comparison a Hollis M1, Atomic Frameless, Atomic Frameless 2, and Atomic Venom. The Venom was horrible (uncomfortable to painfull, less field of vision, design speaks for itself), and the other three were very similar. The main difference, lens size aside, was the silicone skirts; the Atomic is softer and smoother than the Hollis, but, the Hollis is better for slapping on your face and getting a good seal. The Atomics require a little bit more finesse.
I would buy an M1, but I don't need one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom