Attaching reef hook to bc

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jdelin86

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi there,

I recently purchased a reef hook and was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for how to keep it tidy & attached to a bc ready for use? I use a wing-style bc so it'll have to be attached to a d-ring rather than stored in a pocket.

I had seen some people 'daisy-chain' the rope but it still leaves the hook dangling.

The hook I have is this:

102-103-4-copy.jpg

Many thanks!

Joel

I'd like to have a rig like this for mine.
best-divers-reef-hook-pocket.jpg

I think I'd rather have it in a pocket than possibly dangling. There are any number of pockets that can be used with a bp/wing. I'm currently using the Halcyon weighted bellows pocket which holds a 6' SMB, so it would certainly have room for your reef hook.

Yeh I agree, don't like the idea of bits dangling off my bc. Will check out the pocket you suggested.

I'm sure there must be a simple solution!

Joel

My hook is directly connected to my float reel. Does not have that "leash" on it that yours shows.

I try to "neat" the rope into a manageable bundle that allows quick release. Then tuck most of rope & hook in a pocket on harness leaving just enough slack to hook up to the ring meant for DOV on crotch strap.

This generally allowed for quick depolying of the without trouble of entanglement or hook being lost.

20160302_112735.jpg

The hook rode can be daisy chained upon itself (aka monkey braid or chain stitch) to shorten it's length considerably and reduce entanglement rather than leaving the entire length free. Clip your snap bolt into the last loop to prevent unraveling and stuff it into a pocket. easy peasy.

Back
Top Bottom