Australia: Cairns or Port Douglas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

we will be out that way in mid-July... it's my wife and I, and we're on our 1 year anniversary. Not very interested in crazy nightlife or partying... so far Port Douglas sounds better for what we want. Will there be jellyfish then?

thanks for all the tips!!!

Mr. Schnitzer:
we will be out that way in mid-July... it's my wife and I, and we're on our 1 year anniversary. Not very interested in crazy nightlife or partying... so far Port Douglas sounds better for what we want. Will there be jellyfish then?

thanks for all the tips!!!

No, the stingers will not be prevelant in July. Make a point to have "breakfast with the birds" at the Habitat. We also took a river tour and a taste testing tour of different fruits grown on a farm in Port Douglas, star fruit and many other exotics we have never seen or tasted before.

From http://www.barrierreefaustralia.com

The season for the Box Jellyfish starts with the onset of the wet across the top of northern Australia, usually around October and lasts until April. Further south along the northern Queensland or northern Western Australia coast the season is usually from November to March. They sometimes appear further south a few weeks beyond the close of the season. The arrival of the Box Jellyfish close to the beach prevents swimming in the Surf unless the beaches have the protective stinger nets installed or you wear a purpose designed swim costume. The Great Barrier Reef is free of the Box Jellyfish through all the seasons.

although not a box jellyfish i was stung by an irukandji jellyfish at agincourt reef in 2003. it was very painful for a few hours. fortunately they are rare, they are also small the bell is less than an inch in diameter. other than those you should not see any box jellyfish out at the reef.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom