Average Depth Diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2Andy:
but it is a safe method of diving. he's still around and unbent, right?

He's been lucky so far. You can believe that means his methods are safe, but it's certainly not proof of it.

Steven,

I disagree with your basic assumptions.

sitka diver:
Ok whos ready to do the pinnacles here in Sitka it starts @ 145ft...

not me

:54:

friscuba:
The sad thing is that a few posters on this board have used you as an example of proving that the theory is valid.
Well, I certainly don't want folks using my not having been bent as an example to prove that their theory is valid. Hence my disclaimer: Don't do average depth diving. I don't do average depth diving. There is more to it than that.

Still, for our non-technical dives I don't use a dive computer and I don't follow tables. I have my own way of doing it... and I have imprudently shared some of that here on SB where some folks seem inclined to pick and choose what parts they want.

Will I ever get bent? I'm sure going to try to aviod getting bent! BTW: those diving with me using dive computers haven't had their computers complain either.

Having a rule of thumb that only takes into account depth/time/gas is not sufficient. I try to take into account how I feel, environmental conditions and what I plan for later in the day among other factors and adjust accordingly.

Walter:
He's been lucky so far. You can believe that means his methods are safe, but it's certainly not proof of it.

Steven,

I disagree with your basic assumptions.
Well, okay, so maybe Uncle Pug isn't all that handsome. :wink: Not that assumption?

Uncle Pug:
..snip..
Having a rule of thumb that only takes into account depth/time/gas is not sufficient. I try to take into account how I feel, environmental conditions and what I plan for later in the day among other factors and adjust accordingly.

You know, the first image that came into my mind was of a guy playing Russian roulette and saying, "well the revolver feels a little heavier on the right hand side so I'll spin the chamber again". One day his feeling is going to let him down.

Walter:
He's been lucky so far.
Walter... you just don't know.

I have a whole flock of guardian angels busy keeping me out of heaven... but not because of the way I manage my dive profile.

The folks I dive with all have happy computers. I dare say I'm far to the conservative side... a regular deco weenie.

I don't do square profile dives and I spend plenty of time shallow for time spent deep.

miketsp:
You know, the first image that came into my mind was of a guy playing Russian roulette and saying,
"well the revolver feels a little heavier on the right hand side so I'll spin the chamber again". One day his feeling
is going to let him down.

lol... talk about a misplaced metaphor

that's not what Pug said at all. and by the way, if you are tired, dehydrated,
ill, haven't gotten good sleep, etc., and don't take that into account and dive
more conservative than usual, you *might* just get bent whether you are
following tables or a computer. i'm sure you've heard of these aspects of DCS.

so how you "feel" *is* extremely important.

Uncle Pug:
The folks I dive with all have happy computers. I dare say I'm far to the conservative side... a regular deco weenie.
I'll agree that the few deep (below 100') dives I've done with UP, his leading has stayed well ahead of my computer. He spends forever at shallow depths looking at the tiniest of critters, and then goes into a slow-motion time warp between 10' and the surface. Whatever strange and unique mathematical computations he's doing in that head of his are certainly well within my conservative computer NDL profiles.

miketsp:
You know, the first image that came into my mind was of a guy playing Russian roulette and saying, "well the revolver feels a little heavier on the right hand side so I'll spin the chamber again". One day his feeling is going to let him down.

Your post is funny because it's so way off base you can't get a radar fix on what UP is saying. You only see a small portion of what he's talking about and are not going to get the full picture in this thread.

Uncle Pug:
Walter... you just don't know.

I have a whole flock of guardian angels busy keeping me out of heaven... but not because of the way I manage my dive profile.

I don't do square profile dives and I spend plenty of time shallow for time spent deep.

Another thing is that if you're doing this you should be able to recognize the symptoms of subclinical DCS and use that as feedback that you're doing something wrong. I've followed my computer on a few air dives and nearly fallen asleep on the drive back home (and afternoon diving -- not just due to ***-crack-of-dawn diving...). And this was on a fairly conservative profile that did go deepish (80 fsw) but was not a reverse profile and had a lot of 40 fsw time and came nowhere near the NDL limits... The computer was also happy with my stop...

I'm starting to really distrust computers for NDL diving, I think they're right up there with the "bend and mend" Navy Tables for deco diving, although the "mend" part isn't a long 10 ft hang, but its the nap you take when you get home...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom