Baby shampoo/water ratio for anti-fog use

Discussion in 'Introductions and Greets' started by mfgremillion, Aug 7, 2008.

1. mfgremillion

mfgremillion Guest

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    Anyone know what the water to baby shampoo ratio is for good anti-fog? I've been diving in Hawaii for a few months and my wife has fogging issues. I've tried a few different mixes and it definately works but she won't put any water in her mask when it doesn't. I just flood a little put she won't and just continues the dive with a foggy mask. Any help would be kickas---!

2. 40Fathoms

40Fathoms Divemaster

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    Has she tried the simple solution? Spitting it in, rubbing the inside glass with it, and rinsing?

3. crab lover

crab lover Photographer

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    After I rinse my mask and let it dry, I just put undiluted shampoo on the mask and put it away like that, then when I dive next, I just rinse it out then. I almost never fog!

4. The Kraken

The Kraken He Who Glows in the Dark Waters (ADVISOR) ScubaBoard Supporter

We use it full strength. One drop on each lens, let it dry, then very lightly rinse.

the K

5. spectrum

spectrum Dive Bum Wannabe ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    If it's been that stubborn in warm water I'd revist "clean and test.

After that I use J&J Baby straight on an already rinsed mask (which dilutes it some) and do not rinse afterwards so it all remains. Even if it gets to dry and looks hazy it will clear as soon as condensation begins. This has been effective in water down to 34F.

Pete

Pete

6. Charlie99

Charlie99 Orca

I use 50/50 mixture of J&J Baby Shampoo and Rubbing Alcohol.

It does a really good job of cleaning the mask lens, including removing smears of the silicone grease I use to minimize leaks past my moustache.

I typically apply it when cleaning up my gear after diving. It dries overnight and is ready to go the next day.

7. The Kraken

By the way, the correct term for this stuff is:

"KRAKEN SPIT" ! ! ! ! ;)

the K

Last edited: Aug 7, 2008
  8. anzac65

anzac65 Regular of the Pub

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    Reading between the lines I'd say that Mrs mfgremillion might need your help to become a little more at ease with mask clearing......

9. bdshort

bdshort Barracuda

spit. wipe. rinse. done!

10. Walter

Walter Scuba Instructor

The correct baby shampoo/water ratio is 1/0. Crab lover nailed it. Start with a dry mask and then let the shampoo dry in the mask.

11. The Kraken

Yeah, I used to just spit in my mask, but the tobacco juice just kept staining my lenses.

the K

12. Bob Vincent

Bob Vincent Scuba Instructor

Hi ... [​IMG] & Welcome to ...
    :sblogo::colouredsmilies::colouredsmilies:[​IMG]

It might be the mask wasn't cleaned good enough before use. If it fogs up all the time this sounds right. When mask are made they put a slippery liquid on the mask so the machine can press the lenses into the mask without mishap. This solution after its dry needs to be removed from the mask are all the defog made will not keep it clear. So a method is scrub the mask with soft scrub really well inside outside strap everything even the lenses. After that when it's dry take a paste toothpaste with floride rub it all over the mask inside and out and the strap and lenses let stand 24 hours. After that fill up your sink with warmer water put the mask in the water and rub off the tooth paste. Then it should be good to go! Then with a little defog it will not fog. But if it does repeat the process, I never had a mask that needed more than 2 cleanings usually just one.

As for defog ... trips cost alot of time and money ... I want to see all I can and not miss a thing ... when your mask is fogged you can't! So I do not try and make defog ... for under $5 I buy the best defog in the world Gold Seal ... period ... tested and proven. $5 is a very inexpensive purchase to the money spent on diving trips. And it only takes a pea size amount on each lense. This with never fogging U/W is the answer to me.

13. The Kraken

J&J Baby Shampoo - 20 ounces for $3.97 at Wal-Mart.

Buy a little dropper bottle and you're set for a looooooo-ng time.

And if you have latex seals on your dry suit, spreading some J&J inside the cuffs makes the suit infinitely more easily donned and doffed.

Plus you can use it to put in a tub to rinse your wet suit and, for those of you who have hair, you can actually use it to wash your hair!!!

Can't do that with mask defog . . . well, I suppose you could, but it'd be mighty expensive at about $4 an ounce or so.

the K

14. Bob Vincent

Bob Vincent Scuba Instructor

Kraken it's very cool to have a one thing does everything ... why do you think I bought a VEGAMATICWHATDOYOUCALLIT! Laid in a good supply of Duct Tape and have a cool new hammer!

But after years of trying different defogs store bought and home made and diving cold water were a mask fogs right now ... I know which works better ... the it almost never fogs up, doesn't do much for me. I like to bet on a sure thing when I get a chance!

But I understand ... opinions are like a**&+!3$ everybody has one ... that's what makes the world go round!

15. cruiser

cruiser Scuba Instructor

Straight baby shampoo, no water needed

16. mfgremillion

mfgremillion Guest

You're right about that but if I push her, she may be turned off diving altogether. She's not very comfortable under and till that time, I'll keep her shallow and happy w/o mask flooding practice. She only dives with me and we swim arm in arm, and we're both happy with that. I do work with her on every dive but you need to teach at their pace, not your own. Thanks for the reply and hope you only have great dives.

Peace,
    MFG

17. Walter

Walter Scuba Instructor

You shouldn't be happy with that. She's in danger every time she dives until she is comfortable with a flooded mask, no mask breathing and mask clearing. There are techniques she can use to easily overcome her fears.

18. The Kraken

MFG,

Just remember, it's just as easy to drown in 1 foot of water as it is in 100 feet.

the K

19. anzac65

anzac65 Regular of the Pub

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    Thanks for your reply MFG. I hope you get your good lady safe and confident with all aspects of her diving. If you haven't looked already, you'll find plenty of tips on the board for helping her with mask clearing.

All the best to you both, and safe diving.

Nick.