Back in action!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh Bill!! :(

DON'T have a bicycle accident. And if you do, make sure that, if you are wearing toe clips, use the breakaway kind, not the kind that keep your tow in the box. What you want to avoid is falling in the seated position on one butt cheek with your leg tucked under you. There's a ball and socked joint at the top of your femur. I broke that ball off.

That's easy, no bicycle at all then except the gym type!

What's next? :)

Don't get any older.

Don't abuse your hip joints by over exercising your legs in the gym, going way too heavy and too hard.
Don't fall off bicycles.
Don't over exercise and run too much.
Don't over stretch and loosen up the capsule beyond what it's naturally supposed to be, contortionist, martial arts fanatic.
Don't get older.
Don't over abuse alcohol, exessive alcohol use can lead to premature joint deterioration.
Don't be born with one leg shorter than the other.
Don't cause sudden impact like jumping off high places or a roof too many times.
Don't over hike too much with a super heavy backpack, long range high mountain trekking.
And last, I know a lot of people aren't going to want to hear this, but don't be excessively overweight. Obesity adds a lot of pressure on those joints and can also cause limited blood flow to the area causing premature joint deterioration.
Heart disease is another factor causing diminishing blood flow which can go hand in hand with obesity.
And never smoke.

All these things according to many people I have known and physicians I have talked to can be the cause of hip joints being damaged and wearing out.

Last edited:
A good example of someone who ended up with bad hips because he over stretched and did crazy wild dance routines was Prince.
He had a hip replacement surgery some 10 years ago then the other one was giving him grief. He had a bad experience with the first so was putting off the second or refusing treatment? and instead got hooked on pain meds. We all know how that ended, not good.

The Doc told me that anabolic steroids also wears out hips.

Glad to hear about the fin kicking exercise. I'm doing 750 per day without fins at this point. Boring but it helps.

- Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom