Backplate Pad, Which One....if Any?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Bigeclipse

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
All,
I do a lot of shore diving. I am contemplating adding a backplate pad to my doubles rig. Are they in general frowned upon? Since I do walk decent distances on land, I think it might help a bit. The plate doesn't hurt my back or anything but it does press it (especially where it curves on the sides) making a little uncomfortable. if I were to go for a pad, is there one you all can recommend? Are they basically a waste of money? thanks.

All,
I do a lot of shore diving. I am contemplating adding a backplate pad to my doubles rig. Are they in general frowned upon? Since I do walk decent distances on land, I think it might help a bit. The plate doesn't hurt my back or anything but it does press it (especially where it curves on the sides) making a little uncomfortable. if I were to go for a pad, is there one you all can recommend? Are they basically a waste of money? thanks.

Un necessary. I recommend you find and old wetsuit, trace out a pad, zip tie it on. That way when you cut it off after 2-3 dives you are only out the cost of the zip ties......

Tobin

Un necessary. I recommend you find and old wetsuit, trace out a pad, zip tie it on. That way when you cut it off after 2-3 dives you are only out the cost of the zip ties......

Tobin
that is kind of what I was thinking the general consensus would be. Just thought id see if everyone feels that way.

I don't think they're necessarily "frowned upon." However, I have never really found them to do me much good. I've tried a couple and they're all about the same: Minor differences not really worth the money. The reason I continued to use them, however, was the pouch for lift bags many (most?) of them come with. I've found it to be a great place to store them.

I wouldn't say they are 'frowned upon'. You see more negative comments made about excess padding in single cylinder rigs, which contributes to the 'added weight' requirements. Some divers like a backplate 'pad' because it provides a storage spot for lift bags. And, a number of equipment manufacturers offer them: e.g. Deluxe Harness Pads - Halcyon Dive Systems, and Back Pads Archives - OMSDive. Note that pads may be specific for the particular BP that the particular manufacturer offers (screw hole placement on the plate and the pad).

I don't shore dive in doubles, so I haven't encountered exactly the situation you describe. But, carrying singles or doubles on my back, even with a thin shirt hasn't really been an issue. What are you wearing when you carry you rig down to the water's edge?

I wouldn't say they are 'frowned upon'. You see more negative comments made about excess padding in single cylinder rigs, which contributes to the 'added weight' requirements. Some divers like a backplate 'pad' because it provides a storage spot for lift bags. And, a number of equipment manufacturers offer them: e.g. Deluxe Harness Pads - Halcyon Dive Systems, and Back Pads Archives - OMSDive. Note that pads may be specific for the particular BP that the particular manufacturer offers (screw hole placement on the plate and the pad).

I don't shore dive in doubles, so I haven't encountered exactly the situation you describe. But, carrying singles or doubles on my back, even with a thin shirt hasn't really been an issue. What are you wearing when you carry you rig down to the water's edge?
drysuit with undergarments. Some of the walk we have are about 200 yards because of lack of access for vehicles and lack of tables to rig up your doubles and put them on.

If I dive back mounted doubles, I opt for a Kydex plate. Rigid enough to be in control, flexible enough to not be uncomfortable. However, if a back pad would make it more comfortable: go for it.

I don't have one of the comfort pads, but one of the "storage" pads. I don't use it for anything besides preventing premature wear on my drysuit from the twinset bolts.

All,

I actually had to look this up to see if such a thing even exists. Apparently it does.

I'm not sure it will help with the problem you're having (uncomfortable pressing). Another alternative might be to adjust the actual shape of the plate if there are corners that are digging into your back.

I have no recollection of ever feeling my backplate at all. If you are then I would personally be looking to adjust the plate instead of adding something to it.

That said, I agree with Pete. If it works, it works.

R..

I don't have one of the comfort pads, but one of the "storage" pads. I don't use it for anything besides preventing premature wear on my drysuit from the twinset bolts.
do you mind elaborating on which type pad you are speaking about as I was also worried about premature ware from the bolts as well and if I do not go with a back pad maybe I will still go with a storage pad for what you describe.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom