Backplates are backplates????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Allow me to second Mo2vations vote of confidence for Tobin George and Deep Sea Supply. DSS is a quality product. I left my BCD behind in 2008 and my only regret is that I waited so long to do so. Tobin makes his plates in different sizes and will talk to you about how you dive, what equpment you use, your dimensions and then recommend a rig for you.

Childs plates? You can always ask a company that makes the products right here in the USA if they would make one for you.

I would love to see a child sized plate, anyone know of one?
Max-DSS-Turtle-L.jpg

Max-DSS-Carpet-L.jpg

Max-DSS-Dolphin-L.jpg

Max-DSS-Blanket-L.jpg

OMG! That is the cutest thing ever.....does it come in pink.lol

I wish I knew of a child size plate, I'm considering putting my son into the z wing and harness (20lbs lift) and have him sidemount with a AL40.

If I could have found one, I would have bought it for my son.

Lots of techie folk are moving in to sidemount leaving lots of BP/W on the used market. They aren't things that get damaged with wear, so no real reason not to buy used. The only issue is if the webbing has been trimmed to short for you, but even then, you can buy webbing for not much. And if you buy used you can get back your initial investment at resale -- backplates don't much wear out or become obsolete.

My DiveRite plate has the Transplate harness system with weight integration, Rec EXP wing and an STA, while the STA isn't necessary, it makes it easier to put together with the Scubapro tank straps. My Hollis plate has an Apex wing and a harness I wove from bulk webbing. A grommet kit from Menards, and stainless grommets from a local marine and trailer tarp maker is on my doubles. I will not ever complain about the Knighthawk I dove before the DiveRite, but love my plates!

You are not going to need any service for the backplate it self. So pick one that fits your preference, in terms of size, shape, bolt pattern, camband slots ...

I do think OMS makes very good plate. The shape of OMS plate is very similar to that of the Halcyon regular size. H backplate pad will fit onto OMS plate. But Halcyon cinch won't fit on OMS plate. OMS is just ever so slightly wider than the H.

I used to have OMS plate, now have HOG, both AL. In terms of built quality and finish, I think OMS is better. OMS has anodized finish. HOG has powerer coated. Overall, OMS feels thicker and more solid. Anodize finish is also tougher. My HOG's powder coat already shows wear after one dive trip. But I chose HOG because I want the lowest possible bolt hole, and HOG plate offers that at this moment.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom