Backscatter Flip 4 System Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
Hi!! I'm new to this forum and about to buy the backscatter system for my next dive.

I got a sliver GoPro 4 and I am not satisfied with the underwater footage without any filter. That's why I plan to buy this system for its good reputation.

My question is:
1. Does the macro lens really useful? or to say worth buying? (the $179 package)
2. You can only have two filters at one time. How to deal with the third one?
For example, you set up a filter system with shallow and dive filter for 2 to 50 feet before diving. If you go deeper than 50 feet but you didn't bring the deep filter with you, what will you do?

or you just put dive & deep filter on it and film without any filter at 2-50 feet?

Thanks!!

The filter for a shallower depth will still help if you go deeper - just not as much as the one designed for that depth would have. You're dealing with an analog system with lots of variables, but in the end there's a lot of variables (such as water color, ambient light qualities, etc, so don't get hung up on the specific numbers that they attach to a particular filter. Take an educated guess on where you think you'll see the most things to shoot, and plan accordingly.

No clue on the Macro lens -- never used one.

Ask Becca - she's their operations mgr. Becca @ Backscatter

click the link
click the Information tab in her profile
click start a Conversation near the bottom.

Not much of a videographer but here is my experience.

I have found no use for the macro. For the filters I use the 20 to 50 and the 50 + 95% of the time. For shallow I don't use a filter.

I use the 3.1 system, but its the same for filters / lenses.. Here's my take.

Decide before dive what you are gonna shoot. Muck diving? throw on the macro lens. no deeper than 50', then don't use the deeper red filter. I use both the macromate lens, and the +10 diopter as well as all 3 different depth red filters. I also have a dive tray I made with some cheaper Chinese lights, and that helps when I am doing macro shots with my GoPro's at depth to still get color and clarity. Deciding what my goals are for that dive helps me decide what I want to load in my Flip 3.1.

I have the flip system and all of the different filters and lenses. If you have interest in macro or getting closer shots, definitely get both lenses. They work great. I have found that the red filters are very convenient, and can help capture some beautiful colors. However, the downside is that you do spend some time and energy managing which filter to use, which becomes even more complicated when you add video lights. The color results with filters in clear tropical water can be somewhat surreal or unnatural looking in my opinion. When you add video light and use a filter, the subjects being illuminated tend to be overly red looking. Filters also cut out available light. In either case, you will improve upon the results by doing some white balance correction in post. With that said, I would suggest that you first try shooting with no filters, protune on and white balance set to native. This give you plenty of room to adjust WB and colors in post using GoPro Studio. You can then export clips to be used in other editing software if you prefer. I am finding that the results are superior to using filters in producing more realistic results. Of course the "realism" also depends on how heavy handed you are in doing white balancing. Protune allows for enough room to make very heavy correction within the limits of the natural light that was available. I am tending towards leaving some of the blue and green cast to make sure it still looks like I'm underwater :wink:. Here is a recent clear freshwater video I did without filters as an example of going filterless:

If you want video of tiny critters, the macro lens is a must. However there is a caveat: the camera must be stable when shooting macro or the results are poor -> too much shake in the video makes it unwatchable. The macro lens magnifies every little movement of the camera. Lights are also useful with macro.

Filters are great when you have enough light. Shooting under a reef overhang will require some light.

You have to experiment in your conditions to find out what filter and how much light is right for you

During testing of filters I found the color filters at depth (I'm working in the 100' and deeper range) were mostly useless for color correction, and created noticeable softness to the images. The close-up lens (not the macro, I have no experience with that one) made all images visibly sharper, regardless of focal distance, but didn't do much for making the camera able to focus any closer (maybe 12" rather than 14" minimum focus distance).

Deep filter:
Filter comparison
The dive filter was less crappy looking, but still soft focus and incorrect color rendition.

No filter:
Filter comparison

Close up:
fliter comps

No filter:
fliter comps

I use the Flip 4 filters with a GoPro Hero 3+. Most of my dives are in Roatan in depths of 40-80 feet. I use the dive filter, which is recommended at 20-50 feet, 90% of the time. I will start and end the dive with the shallow filter, which is recommended for 5-20 feet. I have not had good results with the deep filter at any depth. I find that this filter exacerbates the already poor low light performance of the GoPro. I also find that it oversaturates the image, leading to very unnatural colours.

I also have the Macromate Mini but I rarely use it while scuba diving. The fixed focal length and extremely short working distance make it very hard to bring an image into focus. Also, it significantly amplifies any camera shake, making most videos unwatchable. Since most of my dives involve drifting vertical walls or fighting surge in the shallows, I haven't found a good use for the lens.

I have had some success using the Macromate Mini on a tripod while snorkelling in calm waters. Using a Joby Gorillapod, I have dropped the GoPro in place and let it record for several minutes. It's a nice way to get close in close on corals and flora or to produce aquarium-style shots of curious fish. That said, it is a poor substitute for an underwater camera with a dedicated macro setup.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom