Bad news for LDS in WA??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i work for the YMCA and i used to be the Aquatic Director with a SCUBA program. I would just have the Y hire the LDS instructor and pay him directly for the costs associated with his time, equipment, supplies, etc. Of course all the money would initally go in the Y account. and the Y issues a paycheck for reimburesment. Therefore the whole issue of "renting" the pool no longer exists. the key is to form a working relationship that works for both the Y and the LDS. Y's are more than happy to hold a SCUBA cert. although some may want YMCA certification, it is a sad truth that YMCA instructors are few and far inbetween (at least in PA). After our YMCA SCUBA instructor passed away last year, i was forced to hire a PADI Instructor. I did get him to agree to 6- 3 hour pool and classroom sessions, plus additional days for open water dives. anyway....

Rick Inman once bubbled...
....This is not a new law, it is an issue with Federal grant funds. The local University told our LDS that next year they will not be able to lease time at the pool because the Feds are going to begin to INFORCE a rule about this issue...

Ok, so now we have gone from a state law is going to be passed to an existing federal law. Well actually it is really more of a rule concerning grants. This is a little harder to check out as each grant will have its own rules and you have to check with the grant writting agency. I have ran a quick check of the Federal search engine, but I am unable to locate any reference that would help. That does not mean it does not exist, just I can't find it quickly. It is hard to prove somthing does not exist.

It now appears that your sepcific dive shop is being told specific information from a local college about a rule relating to a specific grant. Easy enough, just ask for a copy of the notice the college got, or a reference. Then we can all see what it really says. Or maybe, the college is unhappy with the LDS and how they use the pool, and lack the guts to say so, and are using an excuse.

I still, at this point, see no reason for the non-profits and the LDS to panic. Any lanuage barring non-profit organizations from renting their facilities to for-profit business would be clearly spelled out in the grant appllications. So the non-profit should already know about it. IF such a rule exist it will apply only to a specific grant. If your college receives that grant, look for one that does not get that specific grant.

Back
Top Bottom