Bali: need Pemuteran/Menjangan advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Lorenzoid

ScubaBoard Supporter
Staff member
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
My research of old threads suggests that to experience the best of northwest Bali, my wife and I might consider, say, two days diving Menjangan (we like walls), one day diving Secret Bay (plentiful critters in the cool water), and one day at Puri Jati (muck is good). As one might expect, the web sites of the dive operators whose names get mentioned most frequently on SB (for example, Bali Diving Academy) and Tripadvisor don't advertise customized itineraries like this, but I suspect, this being Indonesia, anything can be arranged. What dive operator(s) or guide(s) might be best suited for an itinerary like this? Sure, I could email some of them and ask, but I am asking here first, in case someone has a recommendation based on first-hand experience.

When I search for lodging, almost every result is a resort on the beach. What we initially envisioned--before we started doing research--was something like staying at a hotel or nice guesthouse in Pemuteran (mid-way between Secret Bay and Puri Jati) and getting picked up by our guide each day. My wife and I don't "hate" beach resorts, but we really don't take advantage of beach resort-like amenities such as massage, a pool with swim-up bar, special dinners (we actually like venturing out the warungs now and then), etc. The resorts are not beyond our budget, but could we find something just as suitable to our tastes yet at least slightly more economical? Are there hotels or guesthouses that provide all the Western comforts, breakfast, etc., without the frills of a resort? Does anyone have a recommendation based on first-hand experience?

It sure would be easy to book at a resort like Taman Sari and use the on-site dive op, but what are other options that we might consider for lodging and dive op/guide?

we dived menjangan and secret bay few years ago with disthi scuba - a small dive center with operation based at Terima bay. Actually their main biz is pearl farm but the owner love scuba, so they run a dive center too.
They helped us to book Mimpi resort menjangan - very good rate. I'm sure they can also help you to find other accommodation.
everyday they picked us up from the hotel to the dive site.

we dived menjangan and secret bay few years ago with disthi scuba - a small dive center with operation based at Terima bay. Actually their main biz is pearl farm but the owner love scuba, so they run a dive center too.
They helped us to book Mimpi resort menjangan - very good rate. I'm sure they can also help you to find other accommodation.
everyday they picked us up from the hotel to the dive site.

I think I recall reading something you posted on SB about it. Yes, Mimpi is another one of those resorts that gets mentioned frequently. From reading these trip reports I have to wonder if divers only stay at such "resorts"? A description from their web site: "High-ceiling marble rooms, thatched-roof villas, pools, thermal spring, a floating restaurant, spa and yoga, dive center are linked through limestone pathways winding beneath tropical trees with stunning nature backdrop. It is a passion of an eco-retreat to explore the park, above and below water." All well and good, but I'm there to dive, not for yoga, spa, wandering the "limestone pathways" of an "eco-retreat," etc. However, if this is pretty much what is available, and what everyone does for their lodging, then I will not fight it. I am just reluctant to pay for amenities I don't plan to take advantage of.

If you're there to dive with a minimum of the "resort spa" experience, I'd suggest you look at Adi Asari and Sea Rovers. Yes there is a resort there, but outside of the pretty grounds and breakfast, there isn't much 'overhead' you have to put up with. Sea Rovers runs a very fast 6-pack and is almost the closest place to Menjangen Island, so unless your idea of fun is spending time on a cattle boat with 30 of your closest friends, that alone should be enough to persuade you

there is plenty simple accommodation / homestay (not necessarily cheap during peak). We also stayed at another homestay in pemuteran (can't recall the name, no website). Ask the dive center to find a homestay to fit your requirement.
though our purpose is purely for diving but we also enjoyed staying in a nice resort at very affordable cost (at that time).

Yes, I agree that is a good schedule for NW Bali, if you are headed toward Tulamben/Amed after then you can actually dive Puri Jati on the way there. There are quite a few nice little homestays and such all around Pemuteran and plenty of places to eat, all within walking distance. Very easy to do what you envision with the guide picking you up each morning. Are you planning on diving anywhere as well? A good plan would be to get picked up from airport, drive straight up to Pemuteran, do 3 days at Menjangan and Secret Bay, then check out on the fourth day, dive PJs and have lunch in Lovina before heading toward Tulamben and Amed.

I dove Menjangan and Permuteran with Aquamarine Diving Bali. In Menjangan I saw Mandaring fish for the first time ever in my life. If I come back to Bali, I would dive again with Aquamarine, because they're very professional.

Yes, I agree that is a good schedule for NW Bali, if you are headed toward Tulamben/Amed after then you can actually dive Puri Jati on the way there. There are quite a few nice little homestays and such all around Pemuteran and plenty of places to eat, all within walking distance. Very easy to do what you envision with the guide picking you up each morning. Are you planning on diving anywhere as well? A good plan would be to get picked up from airport, drive straight up to Pemuteran, do 3 days at Menjangan and Secret Bay, then check out on the fourth day, dive PJs and have lunch in Lovina before heading toward Tulamben and Amed.

Yes, we will be moving on to Tulamben/Amed afterwards. Hitting Puri Jati on the way there makes sense to me. I didn't know if it was possible, due to time limitations. Is there a dive center in Puri Jati from which we would rent tanks? My thinking has been that we would have a Tulamben/Amed-based guide pick us up in Pemuteran, so that we are diving in each region with a guide familiar with that region. I'm a little reluctant to do a "dive safari" around Bali with the same guide, who may or may not be familiar with the different regions to the same extent. I think a local guide is best. (By the way, after Tulamben/Amed--you guessed it--we want to dive Lembongan/Nusa Penida. For that, I think Two Fish on Lembongan would be a good fit for us.)

I like the idea that you and Wisnu mention of a homestay. But would our guide/operator give us an unbiased recommendation? I mean, I am concerned that asking a guide for a homestay recommendation would result in them recommending their brother rather than looking out only for our best interests. Is there a particular guide/operator you might recommend for this kind of thing? Grocio mentions Aquamarine in a post above, but as far as I can determine they are not based in the northwest; rather, they are based in Kuta and will arrange "dive safaris" around Bali for divers seeking to do this. Then there are the others I have seen mentioned: Bali Diving Academy (but they're based at Taman Sari resort--would they pick us up elsewhere?), Reef Seen, Dive Concepts, Sea Rovers, Ocean Dreams ... there seem to be a lot of them. Would any one be better than any other for what I have in mind?

To everyone who replied: Thanks, your comments have been very helpful.

Yes, we will be moving on to Tulamben/Amed afterwards. Hitting Puri Jati on the way there makes sense to me. I didn't know if it was possible, due to time limitations. Is there a dive center in Puri Jati from which we would rent tanks? My thinking has been that we would have a Tulamben/Amed-based guide pick us up in Pemuteran, so that we are diving in each region with a guide familiar with that region. I'm a little reluctant to do a "dive safari" around Bali with the same guide, who may or may not be familiar with the different regions to the same extent. I think a local guide is best. (By the way, after Tulamben/Amed--you guessed it--we want to dive Lembongan/Nusa Penida. For that, I think Two Fish on Lembongan would be a good fit for us.)

I like the idea that you and Wisnu mention of a homestay. But would our guide/operator give us an unbiased recommendation? I mean, I am concerned that asking a guide for a homestay recommendation would result in them recommending their brother rather than looking out only for our best interests. Is there a particular guide/operator you might recommend for this kind of thing? Grocio mentions Aquamarine in a post above, but as far as I can determine they are not based in the northwest; rather, they are based in Kuta and will arrange "dive safaris" around Bali for divers seeking to do this. Then there are the others I have seen mentioned: Bali Diving Academy (but they're based at Taman Sari resort--would they pick us up elsewhere?), Reef Seen, Dive Concepts, Sea Rovers, Ocean Dreams ... there seem to be a lot of them. Would any one be better than any other for what I have in mind?

To everyone who replied: Thanks, your comments have been very helpful.

Not sure if you could stop on the way to Tulamben if you are diving with a local operator, but you probably could, they would just need to have an extra car, one to send you on to Tulamben while the guide heads back to Pemuteran. Doing it on the way is what we do for our Safaris as it works very well and you don't lose out on any dives for that day.
Mans Homestay and Double You are both good choices.
I am sure Bali Dive Academy would pick you up from anywhere, they are based at the Taman Sari but are an independent operator, no need to stay at the hotel to dive with them.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom