bands for AB Biller 42", wishbone or cable style?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

abnjeffy

New
Reaction score
Just upgraded to an AB Biller 42", want to upgrade to 5/8 bands like I had done for my underpowered 32". I am planning on purchasging the spearfishing specialties bands, but am unsure if I should go with the wishbone-style or the steel cable-style.

I've never used cable bands before

is there a down and dirty on the pros and cons?

Anytime you are using metal as a wishbone material it will begin to exhibit metal fatigue every time you load it. Think of bending a paper clip back and forth, eventually it will snap. Most gun manufacturers have made the switch to Kevlar/Dyneema/Etc type wishbones. They work just as well for notched shafts as well as finned loading shafts and last a very long time (the rubber will break before the dyneema).

A good place to get them custom made for you in any style & size rubber is Florida Freedivers {https://www.flfreedivers.com/}. They regularly do custom bands and do international shipments almost every single day with ease. Send them an email with the same details from your post above and they will immediately send you back a price. Big Store, loads of help.

We also sell custom made bands to any length. We use dynema wishbones on all our guns because they hold up well and are less likely to cause an injury to the fingers if the band pops off the notch.

However, to the best of my knowledge the typical biller gun uses a shaft with a straight or non rounded notch. If you try to use dynema for this application, the material will be cut from the sharp edges. The nonrounded notches are fine for a solid wishbone, but for any other wishbone material, you will get much better longevity if you carefully round the notches with a round file, and possibly touch up with a few pieces of cord and polishing material.

Cable. I have a couple of the metal wishbones that came with my gun. Before I even put it in the water, I removed those and replaced with cable. As said above, the metal will fatigue after a while. The solid wishbones won't likely indicate when they are about to snap. Cable wishbones will start to fray, so you'll be able to see (and feel) a problem before it gives.

Cable. I have a couple of the metal wishbones that came with my gun. Before I even put it in the water, I removed those and replaced with cable. As said above, the metal will fatigue after a while. The solid wishbones won't likely indicate when they are about to snap. Cable wishbones will start to fray, so you'll be able to see (and feel) a problem before it gives.

We sell cable wishbones and will also hand make custom bands of any length, but as mentioned, the Biller notches are going to need some serious work before switching to cable (or dynema)

Stainless Steel Braided Wishbone

MSSBW-2T.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom