Question Bauer Capitano 6scfm 300 bar not going over 2100ish psi , any troubleshooting to start?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Meademac

Registered
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
This is a personal compressor and not routinely pushed to 300bar. Have only done a few SCBA fills at that pressure for pneumatic guns. Normal max pressures use is 225bar for SCUBA .
Could this be an overpressure valve gone bad, 3rd stage issue, or air filter issue ?
What's the most common offender ?
Thanks Meade

Check the temperature by hand of the third stage head. If it is not very hot compared to the 2nd, you may have a seized third stage piston. If it is the same temp as the other heads you may have a failed outlet valve in the third stage head. Overpressure valves can be checked with soapy water to see if they are venting, should be obvious. A venting overpressure valve between 2nd and 3rd stage often indicates the inlet valve in the third stage head has failed. Head valves and 3rd stage pistons are routine maintenance items but are not cheap.

Quick and dirty hand temp check, will get you in the area to check.
Always hotter on the discharge side of each stage (at higher pressures)

Thanks for the tips, I'm not troubleshooting it at the moment it's chilly in the Northeast at the moment but want to be back online for Spring.
The compressor runs off a Honda gas engine and is noisy complicating the ability to hear air escaping.
Do the P0 filters ever leak air ?
Where do you all get Bauer compressor parts , if I can isolate the issue ?
Anyone you recommend working on Bauer compressors in the New England area if I can't pinpoint my issue?
Again thanks for the help.

@Cio or @Golan68 either work on them or know someone who does?

At least I think? Maybe I'm remebering that wrong...

Soap and water to look for leaks, I'm practically deaf a this point so couldn't hear a leak to save my life.

As mentioned above, check for heat with your hand, or look at the interstage pressures.
It is likely Valves or a leak.

Also, stop babying it, let it run up. You aren't helping it by running it at low pressures.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom