Bcd Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Id have to see how they interact with my abdomen. My appliance is on my lower left abdomen. I dont mind things brushing it, but I want to keep pressure off of it, and minimize contact. Anyone have a picture that could help me understand the configuration?

Id have to see how they interact with my abdomen. My appliance is on my lower left abdomen. I dont mind things brushing it, but I want to keep pressure off of it, and minimize contact. Anyone have a picture that could help me understand the configuration?

Something like this site - linky.

A lot of whether a system will work depends on exactly where your stoma site actually sits. Bear in mind that the waist of the harness does not have to be totally constricting unlike with a jacket type (where the whole thing relies on friction and tightness to hold it in place).

Note - you can do the weight check with a full tank as well and then subtract the weight of the air from your weight belt. It's about 4 pounds for an Al-80, so about 3.5 pounds for a St-72 will get you in the ballpark.
I'm surprised no one picked up on my mistake. That should have said add, not subtract. With a full tank, do the weight check for neutral buoyancy at 15 feet. Then add 3.5 to 4 pounds to the belt (or integrated pockets) and you should display about that same buoyancy when your tank is empty at the end of the dive.

Something like this site - linky.

A lot of whether a system will work depends on exactly where your stoma site actually sits. Bear in mind that the waist of the harness does not have to be totally constricting unlike with a jacket type (where the whole thing relies on friction and tightness to hold it in place).

I'll probably just have to try one. From the picture, if I was not wearing a wetsuit, I think it wouldnt work. But the wetsuit provides tons of protection, so it would probably be fine. My opposition to a weight belt itself is that it outright pulls and places too much pressure on my stoma. Although I can still work with that, I'd prefer something else.

I understand there is some shop in Pasadena where they specialize in BP&W setups. Maybe I'll take a drive up there next weekend.

You may want to consider trying a rubber weight belt. Weight belts should be worn low on the hips, but a lot of people tend to wear them up higher on the more narrow abdomen (for some people) where the weight can rest on the hips. This is common with inflexible nylon type belts, like you probably used in your cert class.

A rubber belt can be easily worn low on the hips where it belongs and doesn't interfere with the waist strap of the tank harness. Worn low like this, basically across your butt and pelvis, like the pant's line of a gangsta, maybe it would not be in interference with your stoma.

You may want to consider trying a rubber weight belt. Weight belts should be worn low on the hips, but a lot of people tend to wear them up higher on the more narrow abdomen (for some people) where the weight can rest on the hips. This is common with inflexible nylon type belts, like you probably used in your cert class.

A rubber belt can be easily worn low on the hips where it belongs and doesn't interfere with the waist strap of the tank harness. Worn low like this, basically across your butt and pelvis, like the pant's line of a gangsta, maybe it would not be in interference with your stoma.
Reading your description that sounds like it could be worth pursuing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom