Bcd Question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@TheHuth I think no matter what you go for whether it is jacket or BP&W, you will probably need to try it out and work out exactly what works for you. With your particular circumstance, I would definitely suggest a physical trial of any gear to make sure that it will work (if possible in the water as well).

One thing I would note with a BP&W set up is that the waist band doesn't tend to be too tight as the crotch strap is the part that does a lot of the work to stop it moving.

As REVAN says, a rubber belt might be an option as it doesn't rely on "natural landmarks" such as hip bones to hold it in place. Another option might be a weight harness which will put the weight elsewhere as well.

You can also put a fair amount of weight on the BP harness or the backplate itself which will shift it off the weight belt. A number of manufacturers of BP&W setups have methods of attaching weight in addition to simply having pockets on the waist strap: DSS have plates that fit to the backplate, Halcyon have a weight to fit the single tank adaptor (STA).

Gotcha. So my takeaway here is that I just need to spend more time in the water, and things will improve over time.

Yes and Yes! Before you go out and start buying something else you need to do more diving. I dive a Seahawk BC and love mine and I don't have any of the issues you speak about but I've been diving for 25 years with a lot of dives. I suspect with more practice and experience, the problems you have listed will go away. It's not an equipment problem.

Reading your description that sounds like it could be worth pursuing.

Awap, that's an interesting thought that had t occurred to me. I saw someone yesterday with a really small bcd, and was thinking that might be kind of nice. Now that you mention it, the Seahawk might really be overkill.

If you're liking the Scubapro and integrated weights thing, what about the litehawk? 29 lbs of lift instead.

Yes sir. I have a Yeti 575. Been waiting for for the mountains to reopen.

I got all excited thinking it was a motorcycle. :) If you're a mountain biker, Mt. Tamalpais is right in my backyard...the birthplace of it all!

Id have to see how they interact with my abdomen. My appliance is on my lower left abdomen. I dont mind things brushing it, but I want to keep pressure off of it, and minimize contact. Anyone have a picture that could help me understand the configuration?

Well, if you were up here, I have two different plate you could try, but...

May be someone down your way could pitch in and help you out.

Good Luck

Bob

Hello, so I'm a new diver also, I have a lady hawk scuba pro. I used to roll like mad, and I complicated matters by giggling hysterically every time :dork2: , it would take everything I had to right myself -and then I'd roll the other way... and giggle. Sometimes others had to help right me -giggle. Finding all my pulls was a bitch also. But I don't have those problems anymore, didn't do anything more than dive and become more aware of myself in the water. At about 12 dives I pretty much gained control over the rolling. No more run away ascents, but I still have ALOT of work to do to get my trim in place, I still scull at times. Everyone here has great advice but I would say just diving more will make a huge difference. It did for me. I was trapping air, so making sure I vented air correctly sure helped. You'll get, he'll if I did anyone can!

If you're liking the Scubapro and integrated weights thing, what about the litehawk? 29 lbs of lift instead.

I got all excited thinking it was a motorcycle. :) If you're a mountain biker, Mt. Tamalpais is right in my backyard...the birthplace of it all!
I did tons of dirt bike when I was younger. Even some street. But I finally gave that up. I love mountain bikes. Almost as fun as dirt bikes, much better exercise, and substantially lower risk.

I am similarly new to the sport, use similar BCD - the Knighthawk, and have had similar issue with dumping air (though not with rolling.)

There are *four* ways to dump air – two dump valves on the right and the inflator hose, where you can press the button, but you can also pull the hose to release air at the valve. Of the four, I found the button to be the least effective and only to work if I am upright, which I rarely am.

I use two ways to release air: (1) Pull shoulder valves when in slightly up position, possibly roll to one side and use the opposite valve if no air comes out. (2) Pull hip valve when in slightly down position, including when I have to swim down to avoid getting pulled up, e.g., if unable to release air via shoulder valve.

Hi,
well venting is not that simple as pull the pip or the valve string. All what's happening with you is normal because physic's laws are playing tricks on you. Let me fix that (Einstein talking, ehh)
Will explain in a moment.
Before that a question for all divers whom acquiring more experience actually worked. Good for you, but there are short cuts to that available. My diving buddy after 100+ dives still pops up once a while so experience does not work on her, nope. How come than you ask?
Explanation: Imagine you are just starting to drive your dad's old dodge, and you are told watch the brakes, they kind a not so good but the emergency brake is sharp as new. There you are driving, hit the brakes, nothing, still going in a collision course, that you pull the emergency brake and your vehicle stops on time. More driving? More millage? No, it is not about experience it is about the hardware. So poor you slamming the brakes and nothing works(venting your bcd),... boooom/zoooom now you see the birds. It actually gets a bit worse. Driving a new car, hit the brakes, the vehicle won't stop (ice on the road).
Now the bcd got 4 vents, the pip (x2) which most likely you did use ( can vent by either using the button or pulling the pip, one vent on the right side of your bcd on the chest, and the forth one is your emergency brake, located on the bottom of the ride side of the bcd.
So you are in, relaxing, just noticed a pull upward, so you try the pip, pull the chest string, now you are accelerating upwards as you are straggling with your bcd, you know the rest of the story. Birds on the surface, waves all that.
Venting does not work because of various bcd position accordingly to gravity pull.
Now the cure coming: you feel a pull up, need an bcd vent, collect your body into a fetal position ( just a bit) buttocks up (just a bit) that will force all the air in the bcd to go there and you pull the bottom vent string. It will ventilate as the bottom of bcd gona be up and the air will haply escape from there. Only problem is you must know where it is, just knowing won't cut the cheese because bcd shifts around and the heavy bottle make is so different that dry setup.
While diving let your hand go there often to locate it and memories, develop body memory when you need to vent, collect, butt up, pull the string. Simple procedure- always works
One can ask what do I do with by diving buddy and her popping up, well 10-15 m, I do nothing, when we go 30m or deeper I try to be above her and watch for her.
good luck,
B4e

My action plan is two fold. Spend some time with an instructor, and swap for a BP&W. I anticipate spending quite a bit of time in this sport, so I'd rather make the switch sooner than later. Better to learn in the gear I will use. I spoke to my instructor today, and he offered to spend some time in the pool with me. So time to put my BCD up for sale.

Back
Top Bottom