BDE or further south in early Dec?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Parlem

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello!

I am considering a liveaboard trip from Dec 2-9 next year.

Unless I am mistaken, a classic BDE route is unlikely to offer encounters with big animals that time of year. Do you reckon I might get luckier if I choose a route further south? Like St. John's? Any input will be greatly appreciated and, of course, I realise that nobody can predict what we may or may not see once we've hit the water ... so the usual caveats apply!

TIA.

I haven't dived that area in December, but I do follow a couple of liveaboard companies on Facebook and they are still reporting shark sighting at Brothers and Deadalus this month. It seems as if they are seeing a similar number to the amount I saw on a trip in early October. You are probably less likely to see sharks on the St Johns route as they are generally shallower dive sites, but you never know what will turn up!

Speaking to some friends it seems that this year is a particular good year for shark sightings on BDE trips. Some also had sharks a St. Johns in late November/early December.

Nobody serious can tell you how it will be in december 2023 !

Perhaps there will be strong winds, very bad sea... maybe it will be very quiet .... maybe you'll see sharks, maybe not.... inch'Allah !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom