Belize & Live Aboards

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ladycute1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999

My husband and I have been discussing the possibility of a SCUBA live aboard as a way of celebrating my 40th birthday this year.

We have been looking at the Nekton Cruises due to their very stable vessel design (hubby is very prone to motion sickness -- even though he is a private pilot!!)

We're looking at traveling around Christmas time. Can anybody give us information about this company, Belize in general, or more specifically, Belize at Christmas time?

Also, we are reasonably novice divers and want to make sure that our skill level is adequate for such a trip. My husband earned his PADI Open Water Certificate in February of 2001, has logged about 10 dives to date and will probably log about 10 more before we would make this trip. I earned PADI Open Water Certificate in July of 2000, PADI Advanced Open Water in February of 2001, and a Photography Specialty in May of 2001. I have logged 28 dives and expect to log
another 15 - 20 before we would make this trip. All of our dives have been in Hawaii. Mine have included boat, shore, night, deep, drift, and diver propulsion vehicle. Are we likely to be adequately prepared for a liveaboard?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Liz (Ladycute1)
theratech@home.com

Hi Liz,
While I haven't been on the Nekton, I have been to Belize.
We spent a week there last May. I really enjoyed it. Sounds to me like you'll have no problem with the diving level. Be sure to tell the divemasters on board your experience levels, as we all do on all dives, and they will be able to help.
We saw tons of sea life. Played with the nurse sharks, and Eagle rays. Lots of coral formations too. Great people there. I would go back in a heart beat.
:sunny:

Hi Liz,

The Nekton has been on my "to do" list for a while. I was talking to my local dive shop the other day and they are planning a trip on it in May 2002 (Belize boat). While this is all hearsay, I have been told is is a very nice boat with large rooms each with a private bathroom. I would be very interested in your impressions if you do go on it.

Belize is also on my list, since Im relatively close from my current base in Mexico City. Do tell us about your experiences after you return. Thanks!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom