Best Adhesive to reattach Sitech neck ring

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Stoo

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
I have a 1 1/2 year-old SANTI eMotion. It's been something of a "semi-dry" suit from the get go with leaking seams and a failed zipper (not SANTI's fault of course, and they did replace it under warranty).

Last week, I had the suit completely flood on me. Awesome in 150' of 39° Tobermory water! Initially, I thought that I had failed to doc the zipper properly. On the second dive (in my soaked undies), I re-lubed and verified I had closed it... same thing.

A leak test the following morning revealed that the Sitech neck ring had come away from the suit... as in there was a 2" opening!

The Halcyon rep won't respond to me (We got "into" a bit a few weeks ago over leaking seams which he seemed to think was "acceptable" in a dry suit, so I don't think he likes me anymore.) The dealer has been silent until this AM when I sent him a message on FB, but his shop has no ability to repair suits.

I have resolved that I will just repair this myself, which will likely void the warranty, but I only have a few months left on it anyway. The suit is utterly useless as is.

Anyway, to get to my point... What is the best adhesive to use for this? I need to stick the rubber ring to the fabric suit. Friends have suggested using just black neoprene cement. Others have suggested Aquaseal and another contact cement. This is not a visible repair, so I am not concerned with the aesthetics of it. My plan is to just seal up the opening since I think removing the ring and re-gluing the entire thing might be beyond me! (Although it it appears to be marginally stuck, I'll have no choice.

Do any of you experts have any information that you would care to share?

Thanks!

IMG_1273.JPG

Last edited:
I'm curious what to use as well, but I must say I'm surprised that Halcyon/Santi think drysuit seals should leak. I thought they had a good reputation, maybe I misunderstood.

I'm curious what to use as well, but I must say I'm surprised that Halcyon/Santi think drysuit seals should leak. I thought they had a good reputation, maybe I misunderstood.

People think DUI makes awesome suits too, but in my circle of friends, the DUI folks all own two suits since there is always one of them being repaired. Having said that, at least some of them have had no issues at all.

Mrs. Stoo bought a $1200 Bare last year. It's 100% dry and seams guaranteed for life. I think that's what I'll do next time. My suit retails for over $3K in Canada since Halcyon took over. For that money, I expect to stay dry.

I have been chatting with the dealer on FB this am. His solution is to sell the SANTI and buy a DUI. Awesome approach.

I said I was contemplating taking SANTI to small claims court over claims of mis-leading advertising. If we all started doing that, the quality might improve. ;-) I am extremely easy on suits. I dive from a RHIB, never any shore dive, not dragging through caves or jagged wrecks. I take pics, never touch the bottom, and the suit LOOKS brand new (except where I have gooped up seams.)

Last edited:
Update: Based on comments from the dealer, I used neoprene contact cement this AM. There's a 10# hunk of lead squishing it just now, but it seems pretty stuck. I guess I'll go diving and see how it goes~ :)

If you don't hear from me, get someone to look at the bottom the Forest City will ya? And ask them to bring a liftbag!

Update: Based on comments from the dealer, I used neoprene contact cement this AM. There's a 10# hunk of lead squishing it just now, but it seems pretty stuck.

If you didn't wait long enough for the two sides to dry sufficiently, no amount of applied weight will make it stick properly.

We actually had one last week that had the same issue. As someone suggested, our Drysuit Glue will bond both of those no problem. Just make sure you lightly sand both surfaces, and clean them with Acetone or MEK prior to re-gluing. Then, make sure you wait the alloted time before bonding together (about 20-30mins or when barely tacky).

We haven't seen a widespread issue with these, but I will share this thread with Santi/Halcyon so they can get ahead of the curve if there is an issue.

The neoprene contact cement should work, depending on which product it was and how it was prepped. Goodluck!

Hi. This is Kathy with DUI. I saw your post and asked Pam Oliva - our repair guru for her suggestion. Here it is:

It looks as if the issue is easily repairable. The area in question should be cleaned of any debris, buffed with sand paper (or dremel tool) wiped down with trichloroethane or similar cleaner, and then re-glued. Something like bostick 2402 (adhesive) with its acclerator (bostikure) will help. You will need to apply 2 - 3 even coats to both sides that will be bonded, and allow to dry 5 - 7 minutes between the first 2 coats, and then no more than 5 minutes on the last coat. NOTE: mix only what you feel you would need as when mixed, becomes thick within an hour or so.

Attach both sides together, and apply pressure with a seam roller (or place a couple of soft weights onto the area for a couple of hours.) This should be ample time for the adhesive to cure and set.

(Bostick 2402 should be available in the U.K. and European countries.)

Good luck!

Thanks!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom