best dive in philippines EXCLUDING apo reef and tubbataha

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

xrcjdx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
i was replying to a post earlier and it occurred to me that my 2 favorite dives in the philippines, excluding apo reef and tubbataha reef (not exactly day trips, so was thinking more along the lines of dives that are easily accessed) are verde island off puerto galera and napantao fish sanctuary in south leyte.
anyone else have a favorite dive or 2, and the reason for choosing it?

I love wall. General healthy fish life and good viz. My favourites in alphabetical order:
1. Camotes Island(Tulang Wall)
2. General Santos(Tinoto Wall right below Lemlunay Resort)
3. Mactan Island(both Hilutungan and Nalusuan sanctury)
4. Moalboal(Pescado Island and The Sanctury)
5. PG(Verde Island)
6. Sogod Bay(Napantao)

The problem of No 3 is the operator and the experience of the fellow divers.

The Canyons off Puerto Galera was my favorite site. It is one if the "fishiest" reef which combined with an abundance of soft corals make it one of the most colorful.

In two weeks I am going back. First stop is Coron followed by Puerto Galera.

My favorite dive site is the Ducomi Pier in Dauin. Sadly it is no longer open for diving. It was world class with great soft coral and sponge habitat on the pilings, and muck bottom. It was really nice and I formed my love for muck there.

I'm going to Malapascua November 12-22. I'm going to dive with the Thresher sharks. Anyone else going on those dates let me know!

Verde Island near Puerto Galera is my favorite. From what I have seen it has the biggest fish population in the Philippines. I was lucky enough to see a 20ft whaleshark there around 18 months ago. It's concerning to see sometimes 20-30 fisherman on the dive site. That area is one of the best in the Philippines and should be a no fishing zone in my eyes.

How to stop fishermen from making a living? Ah yes, isn't that always the question? :)

Let's start with being happy if they don't dynamite fish.

Back
Top Bottom