Best Diving Magazines?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Watermutt:
I must agree with the vast majority of the responders here...Dive Training is the least biased that I have experienced to date, and Scuba Diving seems to be one big ad.

BTW, Thanks to Sterling Diver for the info on the various mags...you just kept me from wasting money on a quite a few subscriptions!

......glad to help.

Dave

I've read a few,

Roedale's Scuba diving magazine, Dive training and "Dive" magazine. I concur with the others in that "Scuba diving" is too ad heavy and in my opinion is a bit lacking in content. It's definetly a light read. My favorite diving magazine though is certainly "Dive" magazine. It's a British mag BSAC's in house diving magazine as a matter of fact. I don't how easy it is to find stateside, however it has some of the best photography that i've seen in a dive mag, some of the most interesting articles and a no nonsense look at new gear and gadgets. Combine that with a real emphasis on safety and great content, I'd say that it's a must read.
Not trying to sound like an advertisement here but it really is that good. The only downside I can think of though that some of the ads and content are Brit-centric. Generally though I find the average Brit magazine to have better writing and content than the average American one.
Does anyone else think so?

Dive Training is great, and Scuba Press is also great for Canadian divers who actually dive in Canada, they have bits about Canadian dive sites that you don't normally find in other magazines. You can often get free copies of both of these at your LDS.

Jamdiver:
I've read a few,

. My favorite diving magazine though is certainly "Dive" magazine. It's a British mag BSAC's in house diving magazine as a matter of fact. I don't how easy it is to find stateside, however it has some of the best photography that i've seen in a dive mag, some of the most interesting articles and a no nonsense look at new gear and gadgets. Combine that with a real emphasis on safety and great content, I'd say that it's a must read.

The other big Brit dive magazine is "Diver", whose website is Divernet. It's similar to "Dive", though it's slightly better imo.

Jamdiver:
Not trying to sound like an advertisement here but it really is that good. The only downside I can think of though that some of the ads and content are Brit-centric.

That's not neccesarily a bad thing :wink:

Jamdiver:
Generally though I find the average Brit magazine to have better writing and content than the average American one.
Does anyone else think so?

Yes. Motorcycle mags are a prime example of this. Maybe the emphasis of the Brit mags is to provide a service to their readers, not to provide a forum for their advertisers? It's a long time since I bought a copy of Cycle World, though I sometimes scan through it in the shop.

Please be aware that my opinions may be slightly biased :11ztongue

Mike,

I just scanned the replies quickly and may have missed a mention of it but have you see the Canadian "Diver" magazine? "The longest-established scuba diving magazine in North America," says their masthead. Just subscribed myself a couple of months ago.

The articles so far are about people, places, events, and concerns rather than gear, and their graphic design is pretty good (they need better proofreading, though).

They're at www.divermag.com and will send you a free sample issue on request, but you have to live in Canada or "Northern US states."

-Bryan

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom