Best First Caribbean Liveaboard?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kryssa

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
The husband and I just made our 100th dives on our last trip to Hawaii and are looking to plan our next dive vacation. We are probably intermediate divers - have done many low vis, cold water, dry suit dive but are looking for "easy mode" on vacation. We are thinking about doing a liveaboard, but aren't really sure where to start - I'm hoping you guys have some suggestions?

I would like a private room, but could manage a shared bathroom if needed.
Budget for the liveaboard is around $3000/person (not including flights.)
Travel window is April-May.
I am looking for a trip with guided diving, but the option to go off with just my husband would be nice.
We are traveling from San Francisco, so while I started with Caribbean Liveaboard, we are flexible but need warm water - 78F+.
Trip should be one week, plus travel days if needed.

Thanks all :)

No reason you can't do $3,000 INCLUDING airfare for a top Caribbean liveaboard if your dates are a little flexible and you shop around. Private ensuite bathrooms are the norm for what you'll be looking at in that price range.

Cayman Aggressor or T&C Explorer would be great options for a first liveaboard. Cayman Aggressor was my first liveaboard (it may actually be "the first liveaboard" overall) and was a great experience. Though, proceed with caution... you may never want to dive land-based again!

:D

full

Try one of the Caribbean Aggressors with the Cayman Aggressor at the top of the list. Advice from somebody who has been on liveaboards all over the world, you would want your own bathroom not a shared one!!! $3000 is plenty for a top notch liveaboard in the Caribbean for sure. You need to budget for the end of cruise crew tip, park fees (if any), permits, last meal out, etc. in addition to the boat cost. If you don't have a Nitrox certification, get it before you go on the cruise. You will also need to plan to bring a wetsuit layer to wear under your usual wetsuit to keep you warm since you will be doing more diving on a liveaboard and probably you will get cold after the first 2 days.

You might also take a look at the Juliet, a 100 foot sailing ship. I had a fantastic trip with them last month. It's not in the same category in terms of luxury as some of the others, but with only 6 cabins (several en suite) a real sense of community develops between the divers and the crew. FWIW, we motored most of the time and only had the sails up for one long reach. It's significantly less than your budget, but it has a very special feel. Most of the other divers were were repeat customers (4-5 trips in a few cases.)

http://www.julietsailinganddiving.com
Juliet_divedeck.JPG

No reason you can't do $3,000 INCLUDING airfare for a top Caribbean liveaboard if your dates are a little flexible and you shop around. Private ensuite bathrooms are the norm for what you'll be looking at in that price range.

Cayman Aggressor or T&C Explorer would be great options for a first liveaboard. Cayman Aggressor was my first liveaboard (it may actually be "the first liveaboard" overall) and was a great experience. Though, proceed with caution... you may never want to dive land-based again!
I've done both those boats, and strongly agree with the recommendation. I've actually been on the T&C Explorer three times: twice at T&C, once in the southern Bahamas (where they go occasionally). Great diving, great crews, great trip.

Got a thread on that - Picking a Caribbean Live-aboard. I did the Sun Dancer 2 (now called the Belize Aggressor IV) and loved it. That thread I linked has some 'compare and contrast' that may be helpful; several people participated in the discussion.

Richard.

Another vote for the T/C Explorer - especially if the idea of diving with sharks and dolphins is appealing.

Check this against your planned dates also: http://explorerventures.com/index.php/specials/year-of-savings-special

We chose Explorer over Aggressor since the boat has one more public deck and the cabins are main deck with windows/beds instead of below deck with bunks/portholes. As new LOB divers the windows might be a good idea since you're above the waterline looking out at the horizon instead of staring at the waves 10' closer to it. My buddy has a problem with that and does prefer being higher.

The extra deck is nice since it's one more place to get away. About 6 of us lived up there all week, there's padded benches and they stock drinks there. The first time you get on a boat with an obnoxious diver you'll understand why it's a good idea.

Explorer doesn't care how you dive either. If you want a guide just mention it - one family on our boat did for most dives - no extra charge. Several of us joined them once to find a plane wreck. Most of the time my buddy and I dove with an insta-buddy we met on the ride in. Mid-week most of the time I solo'd while they went off together. And I don't have a solo card/pony. Plus I usually waited till the dive deck cleared talking to either the captain or the lead DM helping people dive so it was pretty obvious. No one said a word.

My point being they're not going to care if you two go off by yourselves or not. Except on the drift dives which are DM led because they follow you with the boat. And you reboard as the captain shuts off the engines - they'll explain the process. Just don't go until he or the crew member on board signals - you'll all be hovering in a group nearby anyway. It's the only dive where everyone ascends together and waits.

Last edited:
Haven't done a LOB yet but if I do it will likely be the Explorer as they expressly permit solo diving with the caveat that they reserve the right to say no on a particular dive based upon conditions or type of dive(like drift that you mentioned)

Haven't done a LOB yet but if I do it will likely be the Explorer as they expressly permit solo diving with the caveat...

Just for completeness, they also require a solo cert, proper gear, and a pre-approved dive-plan that you stick to.

Plus, if you make it clear that you're not really up to the task of solo diving (skill-wise or attitude-wise) I think you'll find that "conditions" on the rest of the dives that week will not be suitable for solo diving. :D

Definitely look for a private ensuite bathroom! I would happily do a trip on any Aggressor or Explorer Caribbean LOB. All of these suggestions are great and I am sure you will have fun wherever you decide to go, but I am going to chime if for the Turks and Caicos on either the Explorer or Aggressor.

The reason I am pushing T&C because you can get great land-band diving at most of the other locations mentioned, but the really great T&C diving is off French Cay and West Caicos and you need to be on an LOB to experience it. There's great diving in the T&Cs, beautiful reefs and sharks on just about every dive and other large animals like turtles and eagle rays.

I've been on 2 T&C LOBs (Aggressor and Dancer) and another thing that I liked was that I never got seasick. I tend to get ill during deep water crossings, but in the T&Cs we just traveled along the Cays and I didn't have any problems. But when I do get sick on a LOB it doesn't last and I am fine the next day.

I haven't checked recently but my experience in the past has been that the prices for both the T&C Aggressor and Explorer were very similar unless one of them is offering a special like the Explorer special mentioned above. The prices may look different at first glance but check the fine print. Sometimes there are fuel surcharges and other charges added and by the time you add it all up they are about the same.

If you go to the T&Cs you should plan to spend a day or two on Provo; it's a great place and the Grace Bay Beach is amazing! Have fun!

Last edited:
Reactions: RJP

Back
Top Bottom