best hoseless dive computer

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I also answered the OP's question. I do not find Oceanic computers difficult to use but have been using them since 2001. I do find the NDLs between Oceanic Pelagic DSAT algorithm and Suunto's algorithm to be significantly different. To each their own.

Good diving, Craig

I said MOST, not all :wink:

Also, I didn't say the Oceanic was difficult, just that the Suunto was easier without reading the manual. The Oceanic computers are a little more challenging to find the sub-menus, but that's just my opinion. I've used the OC1 for years, and still do. Before that, I had an Atom 2.0, and before that an Atmos. I do like Oceanic computers.... don't get me wrong.

Also, while the algorithms ARE different, at deeper depths, the difference may be as little as a minute. If you look at the chart provided by Oceanic... You'll see their NEW algorithm is pretty much in line with the Suunto :wink:

DualAlgor_chart.jpg

I said MOST, not all :wink:

Also, I didn't say the Oceanic was difficult, just that the Suunto was easier without reading the manual. The Oceanic computers are a little more challenging to find the sub-menus, but that's just my opinion. I've used the OC1 for years, and still do. Before that, I had an Atom 2.0, and before that an Atmos. I do like Oceanic computers.... don't get me wrong.

Also, while the algorithms ARE different, at deeper depths, the difference may be as little as a minute. If you look at the chart provided by Oceanic... You'll see their NEW algorithm is pretty much in line with the Suunto :wink:

DualAlgor_chart.jpg

Points well taken. I did go back and edit my post with the illustration of a 14% increase in NDL of a 1st air dive to 60 feet using Pelagic DSAT vs. Suunto. My most common dive is a 60 ft drift in Boynton Beach, I'll take the 14%. Actually I'll take all of my gas time using 36% EAN but nitrox NDLs are not in the Suunto manual for comparison. All these computers are very good, a personal choice.

Best, Craig

So far looks like I may be leaning towards the Oceanic. I will have to research the Liquivision Lynx some more. I do like the idea of a tap scroll menu, but when diving the Great Lakes or teaching class I wear gloves (46 degrees of fun at 30feet, ugh) I wonder if the screen will be able to recognize a tap and differentiate what I am attempting to tell it to do. Mr. Liquivision could you shed some light on this for me please? Wish I could dive them all and then decide. Should be like test driving a car when it comes to some of our gear options!

Look at the Scubapro Galileo SOL. Its expensive and a older design but I think its VERY easy to use. It is hoseless and can support multi tanks /w different blends of O2. It now finally supports Trimix. I also have a cheapy Aladin tec 2g($299 console) as a backup. They use the same algorithm. It can save a day or trip if the SOL fails even though unlikely. Overkill is proven 100% effective. I also like the heart rate monitor. The sol uses both heart rate and rate of breath in its calculation. It has a great compass. When I did under water nav it was almost cheating. On the down side is not a OLED.

The SOL might not be for you but its a solid computer that fits my needs pretty well.

Later Mon,
Nick

Or the Luna, cheaper than a Sol but does all the important thing a rec diver needs. I was going to buy one a year or so ago but decided against it once I got to see one in the flesh, very nice computer, easy to read and navigate but man it's big I am kinda small and it looked like an iPad on my arm. I do a lot of night diving so for me OLED is a big bonus. So the Lynx will be my next big present to my self.

Your Shearwater has a hose?

The OP listed ALL AIR INTEGRATED computers.

I am trying to answer the OP's question, not just spew unrelated (off topic) advice :wink:

The OP listed ALL AIR INTEGRATED computers.

I am trying to answer the OP's question, not just spew unrelated (off topic) advice :wink:

But the title of the post was "Best Hoseless Computer" and "Shearwater" is a good answer to that.

If he is only interested in Air Integrated computers then he should have said so. :wink:

He said what he was interested in. Try reading the OP...

Enough of this off topic banter...

I'm unsubscribed.

Sent from my totally hacked and customized android phone using Forum Runner

I use 4 wireless computers..2 Sunntos and 2 Oceanics...One of the Sunntos is a D9 the other a Vytec DS...Keep in mind the Sunntos have a history of straps that break and most people that use them get the Tibby-Adapters [Sunnto nor AL has ever owned up to the problem]....Sunnto as one of the other divers said has some nice features, but they are very 'finnicky' [you have to do every thing just right] and will 'stop' you out if you don't....The other 2 are an Atom 2.0 and a VT3......Had flooding problems w/the Atom 2.0, but customer service replaced it no problem and haven't had problems since.....The VT3 is a joy to use, user friendly, DSS bungee mount, easy to read etc........I use both Sunntos w/one transmitter and they always read 10-15 psi different between them....I do the same w/the Oceanics, [same xmitter code in both computers] they always read exactly the same psi.......When I add up pro's-vs-cons I prefer using the Oceanics.......

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom