Best mask for Asian facial features?

Discussion in 'Fins, Masks and Snorkels' started by 21isfun, May 23, 2010.

1. 21isfun

21isfun Angel Fish

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    due to less prominent cheek bones, many masks don't fit so well. Any suggestions from divers that have this dilemma or have asian dive buddies and know what they use?

2. Jorgy

Jorgy Manta Ray

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    You might consider the Tusa Visualator....

Tabata USA, Inc. - NEW : M-14 VISUALATOR [M-14]

I believe that many stores offer a very similar design by other suppliers, I have seen both the larger and a smaller junior version in St Thomas..........

Hope this helps........M

3. diveprof

diveprof Regular of the Pub

# of Dives:
    If a wider face, the new Oceanic Pioneer is great.

4. eelnoraa

eelnoraa DIR Practitioner

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Asian usuallyhave flatter and wider face, myself included. I found a few masks fit me and my asian friend pretty well, they are Oceanic Shadow, Mare X-vision, and Cressi big eye. You may want to take a t look at them.

5. hongrace

hongrace ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

6. SangP

SangP Loggerhead Turtle

Agree n these do fit most Asian faces:

Tusa
    Atomics
    Oceanic Shadow
    Cressi Matrix
    Problue

Cheers,

SangP

7. SlvrDragon50

SlvrDragon50 Barracuda

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    I've use the Promate (something.. it's a frameless mask) which is the same as the Tilos excel which fit me just fine.

8. axyto

axyto Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    I'm from the Philippines, been using Mares X-vision for couple of years already.. the best mask i ever wore.. Cressi big eyes and atomic frame less is also good fit for Asians.

9. scubajo007

scubajo007 Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    My GF is Filipina with the flat and wide face asian contours; she uses a Tusa Platina mask which she is happy with.

10. Louie

Louie Scuba Instructor

# of Dives:
    I use a Tusa Pano Geo mask and it's the best one I've had (I am Asian). It fits a lot of different faces.

I have noticed that Tusa is popular with Japanese - partially because it's a Japanese company but it may be due to the designs. I would also second the Platina, especially for those with smaller faces.

11. ronscuba

ronscuba Loggerhead Turtle

Atomic and Oceanic Shadow

12. liuk3

liuk3 Manta Ray

I've been using the Atomic frameless maks.

13. ronscuba

ronscuba Loggerhead Turtle

Just got my fiancee a Tusa Geminus. Perfect fit.

14. ScubaSam

ScubaSam Sister of Shenanigans ScubaBoard Supporter

My mask and backup are Oceanic.

15. cheetohcat

cheetohcat Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    For a single lens, I like the Gull Coco and Tusa Frameless. Let me caveat by saying I bought/borrowed/returned about 20 masks to get to these two. Both companies have really soft silicone, and the nose pockets are smaller, but have enough silicone to allow you to equalize without causing a leak.

Every face is different, but in general the area I found most problematic with other brands for me was the nose pocket.

Mares are made really large, with a high bridge. The pocket also sort of starts more forward, 'off' the face. I couldn't even grab my nose on their masks. Also, many frameless masks use a design where the nose pockets have less silicone on the sides/bridge, - they sort of smoothly merge into the frame, vs sitting behind the frame in a style with a traditional frame. As a result, when I went to equalize, I'd get a leak because I had to deform the skirt too much to get good closure. It also had more tendency to leak on my DURING the dive, and that's so frustrating as you're wasting air clearing all the time. My atomic subframe is like this too...while I love how the mask looks, now I never dive with it because it just isn't a good match for my face.

Net net, I love my Gull and my Tusa. I do think that since both are based in Asia, they probably have a better understanding of the design needs.

Good luck!

16. idocsteve

idocsteve Loggerhead Turtle

If anyone is going to do some research to help out the Op do NOT do a search on Asian Facial before clicking "safe search on" in your browser.

17. orenbvip

orenbvip Barracuda

18. idocsteve

idocsteve Loggerhead Turtle

No thanks, I'm good here.

19. Gunrock0811

Gunrock0811 Nassau Grouper

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    :rofl3::eyebrow:

anyway, i use: Genesis SM7200 "LVX" Two Window Mask

fits perfect on me, my wife and my friends who are also asians. they love it so much they've actually taken two of mine and i ordered a couple more just for me! best thing to do is try them on first hand before buying. there is a lot out there that fits.

20. deepocean

deepocean Barracuda

STOP the search :) If you have an Asian face you probably have also a wider face with eyes further away from each other than say an European face. This will result in a leaking mask from the sides, because the skirt is not wide enough, for most of the brands that you will try.

This the ONLY mask that fits me well: IST Oversized Mask. See my previous post about this mask here:

http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/5375410-post20.html