Best military units of all time

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ontario Diver once bubbled...
British at Rorke's Drift

Isreali at the rescue in Uganda

Canadians at the Last Battle of Vimy Ridge

US Armour at Battle of 43 Easting

Both Sides at Stalingrad

Both sides at Stalingrad??? The Germans only had numbers...

My vote would be for the Russian.

Good call with the Canadians at Vimy, my grandfather was there. My vote would be the Spartans at Thermopile.

However, it doesn't matter what side you are on, all fighting men feel they are just, and will prevail. lets' hope we don't have another discussion of " the best of the 21st century"

Up there with the best - 17/21st Lancers charging the Russian cannons.

Up there with the worst blunders - 17/21st lancers charging the Russian cannons

WreckWriter once bubbled...

Sorry Jon, that was U.S. Army, not Marines.

You're right though, they blew that one hard. They should have went in with significantly more firepower.

WW

or stopped to think about it a little more.

have you herd of the 7 p's?

piss poor planning prevents piss poor performance

SAS have pulled off some stunts in their time, i mean look at the cock up with bravo 2 zero.

dropped in the middle of the iraqi army.

the skynet frequency was set to the wrong frequency

it snowed for the first time in decades

the brits and yanks (military inteligence (?)) both messed up, but the unit kicked ass.

if you read andy mcnab's second book immediate action, there is a really funny bit:

they are doing their jungle training in south america and learning how to create a LZ.

there is a formula (rough) for how much pe/det cord (can't remember exactly now) to use.

any way they couldn't remember so they said p for plenty

when it came to setting it off their tree launched like a missile and cleared the rain forest canopy and they never found it, i remember wetting myself laughing when i read that.

difficult to recognize them all. The Roman Legions
in Gaul for example.

The German paratroop capture of the Eban Emael
fortress in Belgium in 1940.

Adolph Galland and the pilots of JV 44 who shot
down 45 enemy planes while having only 6
flyable ME 262 aircraft.

The Italian sailors who manned the SLC
torpedos and their English counterparts.

clive francis once bubbled...

there is a formula (rough) for how much pe/det cord (can't remember exactly now) to use.

any way they couldn't remember so they said p for plenty

when it came to setting it off their tree launched like a missile and cleared the rain forest canopy and they never found it, i remember wetting myself laughing when i read that.
LOL!
Every demolition type i ever met, was of a "more is better" mentality. Those guys are nuts and have more than their share of people nicknamed "stumpy" or "4-finger."

SimonN once bubbled...
Has to be the British ar Rorke's Drift (Southern Africa).

139 Red Coats defeated 4000-6000 Zulu's (yes, they were throwing more than grass spears, they had guns captured from Isandlwana).

Not really a unit as such though.

almost right: the Zulus had old hunting rifles, Islandawana hadn't ended yet when Rorke's Drift was attcked, and the zulus attacking had been held in reserve and wanted to fight. The british were the 24th regiment afoot, B company stationed at Rorke's Drift, 22-23 January 1879. 11 victora crosses were awarded, the most for any single action, including one to Fred Hitch, the only london cab driver to ever win the VC

besides Rorke's Drift:

20th maine at gettysburg and fredricksburg
Nelson at Trafylgar
The men of Bartholomew Roberts off of the gold coast of Africa

Back
Top Bottom