Best non-liveaboard diving in Cuba?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ssummerhays

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My husband and I are planning our first dive trip after having a baby. He will be about 15 months old at the time of the trip (July 2017), and we are bringing along our parents to hang out with him while we dive. The Caribbean is most accessible for all of us. Cuba seems an interesting option because there is so much to do above water and we want to be sure that the grandparents get as much of a vacation as we do. We plan to spend 4-5 days diving and an additional 4-5 days exploring the history, culture, and food topside.

After doing a little research, it seems that many recommend Jardines de la Reina as the best Cuban diving. As a liveaboard option with nothing to do for non-divers, this won't work for us. Can anyone with experience in Cuba recommend good options for shore-based diving? Also, can anyone speak to the weather, water temp, and vis in July? We know this is a shoulder season and could be rainy with colder water, but it's when we can travel.

We are also open to other Caribbean locations if anyone has thoughts on spots that would neatly fit our requirements. Thanks!

Remember, tourism is not legal in Cuba. The liveaboard operators (myself and Aggressor fleet, doing business as Oceans for Youth) have permits allowing us to take people in an educational setting. Now, there is nothing stopping you from getting on a plane, flying you and the whole fam-damily to Cuba and enjoying a nice diving holiday. It's only when you get back and the nice Immigration Man asks you what you were doing, and for which of the 12 reasons you traveled to Cuba you selected, and do you have documentation of your trip will you hit a bit of a sticky wicket. The fine is only $10k per person, though, so it isn't truly out of range for most folks.

Remember, tourism is not legal in Cuba. The liveaboard operators (myself and Aggressor fleet, doing business as Oceans for Youth) have permits allowing us to take people in an educational setting. Now, there is nothing stopping you from getting on a plane, flying you and the whole fam-damily to Cuba and enjoying a nice diving holiday. It's only when you get back and the nice Immigration Man asks you what you were doing, and for which of the 12 reasons you traveled to Cuba you selected, and do you have documentation of your trip will you hit a bit of a sticky wicket. The fine is only $10k per person, though, so it isn't truly out of range for most folks.

It isn't legal from the US govt. point of view you mean??

Well, she is from Oregon, so I reckon she is subject to US jurisdiction, and the Cuban government will want to know what an American is doing there. If you answer incorrectly, they will put you back on the plane.

Cuba is not great for diving.

Above mentioned immigration issues notwithstanding.

Consider Curacao or Grand Cayman.

We've read about educational person-to-person trips and this seems like a very manageable option since our above water interests lie in the culture and people. Is there a reason you would discourage this?

Cuba is not great for diving.

Above mentioned immigration issues notwithstanding.

Consider Curacao or Grand Cayman.
We're less excited about very touristy options where activities revolve around resorts ad tour operators. My impression is that Cuacao and Grand Cayman are both much smaller with less for people to do if their interests don't lie in scheduled tours, shopping, and laying by a pool. Am I incorrect?

My impression is that Cuacao and Grand Cayman are both much smaller with less for people to do if their interests don't lie in scheduled tours, shopping, and laying by a pool.

Well, in Cuba, you have even fewer options in my opinion, and accomodations and food quality are sorely lacking by comparison. I suppose that you could go to Havana and look around, but it is quite far from where you would be diving, and a little run-down. The people however, despite their predicament, are exceptionally decent, and the music, oh, the music!

What, other than diving, would you see yourself doing on a Caribbean island?

There is an interesting national park to drive through, windsurfing, and kiteboarding on Bonaire. Hiking on Dominica is very nice. The Mayan Riviera (PDC) has ruins nearby (Tulum & Akumal), and the Cenotes. Cozumel is nice on a scooter. A little further off the beaten path, Costa Rica and Ecuador have beautiful natural areas. Grand Cayman has Stingray City, the Turtle Farm, and some excellent restaurants. Curacao has some extraordinary beaches. And all of these have very good diving as well.

I, as a Canadian, have had no problems going to Cuba, and it is somewhat unique, but much prefer Mexico. It's just more, how shall I put it, alive, both above and below water.

Last edited:
Cuba is extremely beautiful, as well as rich in history and culture, but I'm one of those that will tell you that much of the diving in Cuba is so-so while Jardines de la Reina is fantastic. By so-so, I mean conditions typical in a fair bit of the Caribbean: some coral bleaching, less colourful, less large life.

If you're willing to go just for the whole of the experience, and don't have your sights set on or have high expectations for pristine dive sites, then a land based trip would be awesome. Havana is something to experience and a stroll back in time. You could easily spend a few days in Havana or visit from Varadero or elsewhere. The (shore) ocean dives and cenote dives of Bay of Pigs are well known, but again are so-so IMHO.

The people to people trips would be fine, but they are pricey. Is there any chance that you could go without supervision by the time of your trip? Marriott is supposed to be opening hotels there by December under Starwood. A 5 star resort is highly recommended, as right now a 5 star in Cuba is usually similar to a 3 or 3.5 star in reality.

The weather and temperature are similar to Miami in July: very hot and humid, but with cooling ocean breezes, and short, sometimes heavy rainfalls.

The water is warm, about 85F (29.4C) in July. The vis is much better in the winter, and probably depends on the area you go to.

If there's any possibility of spending half or most of the time with your family and taking off for a short trip to Jardines without your child, that would be your best bet. If you and your family are comfortable with your son and grandparents being alone together for a few days.

Hope that helps...

Last edited:
We've read about educational person-to-person trips and this seems like a very manageable option since our above water interests lie in the culture and people. Is there a reason you would discourage this?
I would highly encourage it. Read the rules, follow them, and you will be fine. It's how I go when I don't go by boat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom