Best practical dive vehicle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I love my 2010 Ford Escape. We went with the V6, so our mileage could be better, but I still average about 27-29 MPG on the highway. We've had 5 cylinders and dive gear for three with plenty of room for the three passengers, please we got the roof rack for things like hauling our kayak, cylinders, etc, depending on what accessories we add on. Plus, Sync comes in handy for driving directions and weather reports. :D

I just got a 2011 Subaru Outback. Absolutely everything I wanted. Lots of Space. 27MPG combined, 30+ highway, around 25.5 city. And it's not a minivan.

Here is the link to the features of the vehicle. 2011 Outback Features

And here is a picture of the interior space. Note that you can also attach more cargo to the running bars on top of the vehicle.

View attachment 98106

View attachment 98107

Oh, and a little edit, you might as well buy one new. I looked for some used ones initially, but they hard to find, and nearly as expensive as new ones. People just don't sell them. These cars are known to go well into the 300,000 mileage.

I think this car and many other similar SUVs make for great dive vehicles. One thing I wonder with them though is, is there a way to properly secure your gear in the cargo area. In the case of my current SUV, there are some rings that I can attache a cargo strap to and strap tanks and other gear down. Unfortunately, the rings are likely not attached to anything structural so any force with any significance such as one generated during an accident would likely tear the rings right out.

Does this SUV or any other have some strong attachment points that one could use to keep a tank from slapping you on the back of the head in the case of a car accident?

I have a need for a new (new to me) vehicle so I am following this closely.

I have a wife that has disability so she needs help of a scooter (not a large one as she can walk short distances but one none the less Go-Go Elite Traveller Plus - Specifications, Owner's Manual, Features & Benefits).

Then I just adopted a baby girl that turned 1 year old. Needless to say stroller and other baby "junk" has to fit in the car as well.

Then there is dive gear and clothes etc...

I don't think that anything but minivan would do it at this point. :(

First: Wanna car pool!! ; ) your age in Miami looking for dive buddies
Second: 2wd Xterra. Miami to Key West (3am Sat mornings for Vandenburg dives) can get 26+mpgs. With a few mods. Wetsuits and other things can dry up top on rack, seats fold flat and non-carpeted back so no mildew. Pics at Key West Community College Dive Lagoon

IMAG0115 by grovegod, on Flickr

IMAG0118 by grovegod, on Flickr

I use a Ford Ranger 2WD with a 4 cylinder engine it gets about 23-25 miles on the highway. Has a 7 foot bed with a cap that has a kayak rack on top. Short on seating but lots of room for all the equipment and in remote areas there is also room for me to sleep in the back if needed.

I have a chevy suburban that we manage to fit 5 people in 16+ tanks and all the dive gear TheScubaGym owns (enough for 10+ divers) everytime we have a full class. It is loaded to the max in room and weight I think but it does the job. Going to need a new transmission if we keep this up.

Best dive vehicle is always someone else's pickup.

I've got a Chrysler 300 V6. It's not too bad on gas, no 30mpg, but decent. A couple days ago I fit 8 tanks, 2 full sets of dive gear, two golf bags as well as some army equipment and camping gear I forgot to take out before I went to pick up the tanks and gear. Car still pulled better than a Civic with all that weight and had myself and my girlfriend sitting comfortably up front. Also they are sexy, sexy cars.

Back
Top Bottom