Best practical dive vehicle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Was looking at the ECO boost F150, not really impressed, 20mpg is about 10 less then I want. Compared to your blazer that is still a nice step up, Full size, bed, and towing capacity But im still looking towards a compact SUV or Sport Wagon

An older Jeep Wrangler with tank holders installed where the rear seat used to be.
After your dive you just throw the gear in the back and drive the Jeep through the carwash and air dry as you drive home.

Posted from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got an Isuzu Rodeo, and I love the space, and the mileage is OK for a 3.5 V6, (17-19 city, 22-25 freeway), but I do sometimes long for a pickup. I need a vehicle I can tow a ski boat with, (my other passion), so a SUV or truck is a must. I LONG for a '96-'97 3/4 ton Ford longbox with the 7.3 Powerstroke, but then again, the Isuzu is paid for, which is a big deal.

Rodeo is an SUV as far as I remember ? It is on a frame?

Another vote for the Honda Element. Super reliable, reasonable gas mileage, you can fit a million things and is made of washable material inside.

On the other hand, before I had an Element, I went diving with a Mini. It also works and it is always a conversation starter when you take a pair of doubles out of the back :cool2:

36097_1462282191294_1060631848_1324488_1272680_n.jpg

The thing I would be worrying much with that mini is rolling over in an accident. Does it have proper attachment points to fix those doubles?
Otherwise if you survive the accident itself those tanks can likely kill the driver and the passenger.

The thing I would be worrying much with that mini is rolling over in an accident. Does it have proper attachment points to fix those doubles?
Otherwise if you survive the accident itself those tanks can likely kill the driver and the passenger.

Securing tanks is always a good idea. I wonder though why you felt the need to comment specifically about the mini and not about the other cars mentioned in this thread. Somehow it reminds me of people who ask whether the mini is a "real car", or whether it can go out in the highway :wink:

No nothing specific about mini I think it applies to all wagon hatchback type of cars where the cargo is not separated. I just saw those doubles and felt weird :) sorry my mind works on a "how this can fail" line:)
I wonder if mini has the attachment points for that type of cargo as it might not be designed for that. But i would not be surprised if it does as i found europieans use smaller cars for cargo more often.

On another note i wouldnot buy a vehicle like honda crv or toyota rav 4 as they offer less load capacity and less stability than say vw wagons. And they offer virtually no advantages for that

Dodge Dakota with a crew cab and a canopy, space for four for two dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom