Best practical dive vehicle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Haven't read all the posts. Our Dodge Caravans are perfect for me. Just secure tank(s) when driving. Trunk is perfect for gearing up.

I think this car and many other similar SUVs make for great dive vehicles. One thing I wonder with them though is, is there a way to properly secure your gear in the cargo area. In the case of my current SUV, there are some rings that I can attache a cargo strap to and strap tanks and other gear down. Unfortunately, the rings are likely not attached to anything structural so any force with any significance such as one generated during an accident would likely tear the rings right out.

Does this SUV or any other have some strong attachment points that one could use to keep a tank from slapping you on the back of the head in the case of a car accident?

I wonder how sturdy the dog guard/compartment separator would work with dive gear.

Honda Ridgeline... 4 divers with gear, composite bed and a trunk in the bed for all of the drysuits

A friend just got a newish 2010 Subaru outback. I really like it a lot. Tons of room for gear and people. Not sure how it drives, though.

2000 wrangler with 35" tires, 4.56 gears, rough ride and bad mpg. But it's a Jeep thing olllllllo

Another vote for the Honda Element. Super reliable, reasonable gas mileage, you can fit a million things and is made of washable material inside.

On the other hand, before I had an Element, I went diving with a Mini. It also works and it is always a conversation starter when you take a pair of doubles out of the back :cool2:

View attachment 98721

Nice parking job! :wink:

I went diving with a Mini. It also works and it is always a conversation starter when you take a pair of doubles out of the back :cool2:

View attachment 98721

As a former MINI Cooper owner I agree that you can get more gear into it than my Jeep Wrangler.

As for the parking job in the picture I'm going to play nice and I won't comment on it.

---
- FB-Florida Scuba Diver

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom