Best regulator for the money

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Really good advice. I should clarify the 40 degree water. I don't ever plan on going anywhere near 40 degrees I just thoought that would clarify I'm absolutely never doing ice diving withought rethinking my entire rig. Then money would be not object - I like to be steamy warm.

The farthest North I can see is visiting my kids in Nor Cal. So what high 40's low 50's??

Thanks

What are you using now? Perhaps all your regulator needs is a good service and adjustment. If not, you might be able to get away with just a different second stage.

I think that the best regulator for the money is the Atomic Aquatics Z2. It's their cheapest model and it still kicks ass on the breathing machines, not to mention built like a brick house and the first stage can be upgraded with environmental seal kit for freezing concerns. The regular Z2 has fixed (non-rotating) first stage and fixed hose connection second stage. The Z2X has the fixed first stage swivel on the second stage OR has a swivel turret on the first stage and fixed hose on the second stage.

The swivel connection for second stage and rotating turret on first stage are nice to have features but not necessary. If price is a concern then go with the plain jane Z2. MSRP is $429 but you can wheel & deal for cheaper than that.

Atomic Aquatics - the World's First Titanium Regulator

Really good advice. I should clarify the 40 degree water. I don't ever plan on going anywhere near 40 degrees I just thoought that would clarify I'm absolutely never doing ice diving withought rethinking my entire rig. Then money would be not object - I like to be steamy warm.

The farthest North I can see is visiting my kids in Nor Cal. So what high 40's low 50's??

Thanks

for your type of diving, I would recommend a environmentally seal regs. Just some examples

Oceanic GT3
Aqualung Titan LX
Cressi Alaska
Genesis GS2000
Aqualung Glacia

Thanks

IF you think you NEED new regs I highly recommend the DiveRite 3500(Hurricane) or the Oceanic DX series. Both are sealed regs that are easy breathing and can go much colder than I can. I'm told some regs can freeze up in water temps as warm as the mid-40s. It has to do with the cooling effect of the gas going through the regulator. I've had both of the regs I mentioned in water down to the low 30s with no problem.

But, if what you have works I'd wait a bit until you figure out what you are doing.

Couv,

Currently diving with an Aeris A1. Nothing fancy but I noticed it pulls pretty hard at 85'. Put a Scubapro x650 second stage on tonight. My brother bought the Scubapro new from the LDS and it has a diver adjustable airflow that I'm trying on a dive tomorrow, storm permitting.

Thanks

Good luck, I hope the wx is ok for your diving. I just hate to see someone buy a new regulator when in all likelihood all that is needed is a good service and adjustment. The x650 may make a difference when mounted to your first stage, but if the first stage intermediate pressure is too high, too low or creeps, it could very well put you off. It is not always a big factor, but the first order of business is to set the intermediate pressure, make sure it is stable, then adjust the second stage to that intermediate pressure.

couv

IMO a good value in a new regulator is the Sp MK2/R190. Adjusted correctly, this reg breathes very well and is bulletproof. You can usually find one new for under $200 if you look around. It won't have the factory warranty, but I believe that, in general, the factory "free parts" lifetime warranty is not paying a great deal extra for.

The aqualung titan is another great buy, and the zeagle envoy gets high praise from many people as well.

My personal "best buy" was a MK10/D300 in close to perfect shape on ebay for $84, one rebuild later this reg is as good a performer as you are likely to find anywhere.

OOPS! Duplicate post re: cold water regulators

Richard

Back
Top Bottom