Best Sidemount System For Cold Water Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kodo

Registered
Reaction score
I've decided to go the sidemount road and I'm wondering which would be the best system for a beginning sidemount diver in Scandinavian waters? I dive drysuit and thick or "medium" undergarment and using a single tank wing or BCD i use between 20-24lb of weight. If the system is adaptable to warm water diving as well it would be a great plus:)

The systems I've been considering so far are:

XDeep 2.0 Classic
Agir Ratatosk
Holls SMS 75 or 100
DiveRite Nomad XT

Many thanks in advance!

Of those exclusively? The Ratatosk, since the hard webbing is superior with heavy drysuits and also with heavy tanks.
It is also the most versatile of the four.

(I would recommend taking a Razor 2.1 of course, dive the original :wink: )

The Xdeep's center dump valve it harder to reach with stiff drysuit arms than that of the Ratatosk and the inflator works better as an emergency dump.

SMS75 or 100 might suit you if they fit you, they are best for broad shouldered and large people, drysuits help.
The Nomad is just old nowadays, works, but nothing special about it (it is a little bit more flexibel with the dump valve placement however).

So, if you are Scandinavian, why buy abroad, when one of the best systems is produced locally? :wink:

I've decided to go the sidemount road and I'm wondering which would be the best system for a beginning sidemount diver in Scandinavian waters? I dive drysuit and thi

I don't think, there are sidemount systems designed specifically for beginners or cold/warm water. If you dive mostly in Europe, perhaps EU certified systems will be a good idea. For me "the best" are

Apeks WSX-25
or
Diamond. For this one weighting system is not absolutely necessary but very handy and helpful. Without it removing the weights for traveling and installing them for diving will be a real PITA. Without it you cannot use soft weights either. I ordered it with reversed pockets in order to be able to remove the weights which I have in inner pockets (sold separately).

Of the regulators - Apeks Sidemount Set, of course.

All these will serve you well in the coldest waters.

Last edited:
You might want to also consider Halcyon Contour. I, and at least a couple other people locally use it. It seems to work fine for cold water, the only thing that bothers me about it is the attachment of weight pockets, it does not seem terribly secure.

I would recommend dedicated only sidemount sistems there are minimalist for warmer waters , as mentioned CE certified and more important no less than 38 lib lift capacity so is the Razor and Xdeep Tec

All systems mentioned in this thread by anyone so far are CE certified (and no end-user needs that in Europe). :rolleyes:

I dive the Nomad XT including in cold water with a dry suit. I had the backup bladder installed. It's big and cumbersome but it works. I'm thinking about purchasing the XDeep 2.0 Classic, however. It's simpler and not as bulky and most of the sidemount divers around where I live use it.

(and no end-user needs that in Europe).
In some places, you're not diving without a CE. Try diving a sidekick with a dive shop in France

Of the proposed list, I'd grab a classic... I didn't like the ratatosk when I saw it.
The others don't really fit the travelling thing (imo)

If you're unable to reach the valve on a stealth, I'd suggest you take a course, because your rig might very well be upside down OR you're also having trouble wiping your ass...

I'd also consider the stealth tec or rec, depending on your lift requirements.

... with a dive shop in France
I only recently learned how it works in France:
You cannot dive a lot of things with a dive shop.
But you can rent (and fill) tanks and just go diving yourself anytime.
Solo, outside your limits, no problem there, as long as you do it on your own or with your own group.

Just to add to the confusion, UTD (apart from the whole manifold thing) makes good gear. I dive an Alpha/Delta 37# wing on their harness. The modified doughnut wing actually works perfectly with no taco effect. Most of the lift is very low and held close to the harness so low profile too. I hear they are cheaper than most as well. Got mine at a swap meet like new for $225 and sold my ranger for $275 online.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom