Best signalling equipment from the searchers point of view

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Awesome thread. I'm going to buy a bunch of this stuff before I start diving. SPOT is really cool as well. I'm gonna use it to track my progress through South America.

Greetings all, I am just getting back into diving but have been diving off and on since the early 80's. I am one of these people that like to be prepared. That said I this is what I carry most of the time. I made a pouch that fits on my Knighthawk. It contains 5 preform tubes (like the OMS dye tubes but slightly larger, I teach for a living and I use them in some of my science classes, actually what they make two liter coke bottles out of). Two of the tubes are military dye markers, (actually it is two preform tubes like OMS uses but slightly larger. I crush a military dye marker then pack the powder into the preforms seal the lids and you now have what is equal to about 10 OMS markers) In two of the other tubes I carry a pilot signal flare kit (launcher in one and 4 flares in the other) I carry a scubapro signal mirror, a tornado 2000 whistle (coaches whistle and very loud) three glo-tube lithium strobes with small titanium clips (light and last a long time and you can set the strobe pattern, I carry one white, one red and one IR for night use). I carry a small first aid kit inside another preform tube, just the very basic items with a small tube of waterproof sunblock. I also carry a SMB that is perhaps the largest I have seen but as they say, bigger is better in most cases... it is a Highland Millworks Flo Orange 10 foot smb that has SOLAS Radar Tape (3 strips all the way around) and a D-Ring for attaching a strobe, the reason I carry the glo-tubes as they are light and the IR being 10 ft above the water should be seen.... Very well made unit. Depending on where I dive the flare kit may not be with me as FAA restrictions dictate but this pack is rather small considering all that is in it. I do like the idea of a hat.....

Walter,

As Catherine mentioned, it can be put into a housing. OMS makes a housing that's good for 660fsw. Or, you could do like a I did and make your own canister. Mine is good for something like 750fsw. :D
Agree with Packetsniffer that the SPOT is perfect, if it is carried in a water and pressure tight housing !!

Here is where I am coming from with being a lost diver..... About 10 years ago, I was on a shore dive with my local dive center on a perfect sunny spring day. Due to leaking drysuit, we had to surface and would wait for our boat to pick us up and bring us back to the shore. We did not have any SMB, mirrors or any other means of signaling other than lights (and bright red fins.....). While we saw our boat drive up and down the coast, we were carried away by the surface current. The boat never saw us, neither did the spotter with the binoculars on the little hill by the shore. In fact, we were not picked up before a huge car ferry passed by and someone on the bridge saw us and the turned the ferry around and sent a rescue boat down to pick us up. By that time, our boat driver had already realized we were lost and that made him put two and two together when they saw the car ferry turning around. End of story was our own boat raced out to pick us up.

I swore that I was never going to through that again if I could do anything to prevent it. Got the mirrors, SMB and also bought the 'Pocket Rocket' from Orion Signals, which is a pen size launcher for small flares that I carried in a waterproof case High Performance Red Aerial Signals - Orion Safety Products (scroll down on page till Pocket Rocket) . And this was still not enough. I also bought the Sea-Marshall EPIRB that has been mentioned earlier in this thread.

Now 10 years ago later and some 200 dives, including a purchase of a second Sea-Marshall for my wife, I have not had another incident where I have needed all these tools, but in the meantime, the Sea-Marshall has lost its effectiveness now that 121.5 MHz will be phased out by he USCG.

Therefore the SPOT came in as perfect replacement and at a very affordable price. However, I have not been able to find any (small) case that will hold this. I have emailed the company that makes the SPOT and told them if they manufacture a pressure tight box and throw a few ads in the dive magazines, I was absololutely convinced that these would sell as hot cakes within the dive community, but that concept did not seem to get them excited......

Can anyone out there suggest a place to look for such cases ???? I am looking for a box that is not too bulky, but just big enough to fit this GPS transmitter. I am also interested in buying a custom made box, if anyone can direct me in that direction.

Can anyone out there suggest a place to look for such cases ????

You could try sweet talkin' Barry at Salvo. Since the SPOT is production made, he might be interested in making a nice cannister for it. The SPOT device is becoming popular with divers and therefore would mean more sales to him. Give it a shot.

Salvo Diving
386-454-1440

Can anyone out there suggest a place to look for such cases ?

A web search shows that there are varying levels of "waterproof" and what you're looking for would be at least "Class 5" waterproof. But something like this:

T4000 X-treme Case | Northstar Cases Product Overview

Might do the trick depending on how deep you dive. The company (no affiliation) sounds fairly friendly, so you can probably contact them and get specifics:

About Northstar Cases

I'd also try and contact Pelican and Otter Box to see what they may have.

If you explain the use you may find someone interested in developing a case specifically for the purpose - who knows.

Henrik

A web search shows that there are varying levels of "waterproof" and what you're looking for would be at least "Class 5" waterproof. But something like this:

T4000 X-treme Case | Northstar Cases Product Overview

Might do the trick depending on how deep you dive. The company (no affiliation) sounds fairly friendly, so you can probably contact them and get specifics:

About Northstar Cases

I'd also try and contact Pelican and Otter Box to see what they may have.

If you explain the use you may find someone interested in developing a case specifically for the purpose - who knows.

Henrik

I personally wouldn't use anything like Otterbox or equivelant cases. Although they say, watertight, they are not designed to handle the pressure that a diver may subject it too. I tried an Otterbox, for example, to slightly less than its rated depth and it failed. Killed a nice VHF radio in the process. That's what prompted me to make my own cannister. I would not trust my life to any of these cases. The case for a EPIRB device requires something that is design specific from the dive industry and bullet proof; something that you can stake your life on. ...OMS, Salvo, or DIY.

The case for a EPIRB device requires something that is design specific from the dive industry and bullet proof; something that you can stake your life on. ...OMS, Salvo, or DIY.

Packetsniffer and HenrikBP - thanks for your input, which I will definitively check out.

DIY - how do you make your own case ??? Aware there is not a simple, short answer to this, but any links and references you can point me to ????

DIY - how do you make your own case ???

In a nut shell, what I did was create a design that I could live with (diameter & length, material) and sent the drawing to Plastic Supply & Fabrication (918.622.8430) and asked them for a quote to fabricate the components. The reason I went this route is because for the small amount of material that I needed. To buy it from someone would cost just as much for PS&F to source the material and machine the components. It cost me around $100 for the machined cannister components from them. They machined two 4.0" diameter end caps and one 12 inch long, shedule 80 pipe (grey). One end was press fit and glued with PVC cement (tuff as rhino nuts). The other end supports an O-ring seal. I attached the stainless steel latches which I purchased from Salvo. I bought several EPDM (or Viton if you want) o-rings from a local distributor ($4.00) and I was done. This took a lot longer to see to completion than the way it reads here. A lot of thought went into it. My cannister has been down to 250fsw personally by me. We will be much deeper next year. I know it works and I can depend my life on it.

You might not have to build your cannister as heavy as mine. I knew that I would be seeing some great pressure with the stuff I like to do so built it with that in mind.

This is a must read before purchasing a PLB.

From this link... WSDOT - Emergency Locator Transmitters (ELTs)

Due to false alerts from ELT's the U.S. Coast Guard and Airforcehave mandatory wait and confirm policy.

"It is official U.S. Coast Guard and Air Force policy to wait to react to a 121.5 MHz emergency signal until there have been at least two to three polar satellite passes over a signal, which usually takes two or more hours, unless there has been a report of a missing aircraft, vessel or a person with a personal locator beacon, in which case search forces are alerted quicker to satellite alerts."

Phasing out of the 121.5mhz satellites...
"The FCC, at the request of the U.S. Coast Guard this year, is implementing regulations that will remove the certification for the manufacture and sale of 121.5 MHz EPIRBs in the United States by 2004, and by the end of 2006 forbid their use. "

Here are a few links to PLB manufacturers..
MOB - Sea Marshall Contact Info
McMurdo/Pains Wessex Fastfind Plus Personal Location Beacon (PLB) - Buy at Wholesale Prices from Online Marine
OFFROUTE.COM:*SPOT*-*SPOT Messenger - Satellite Personal Tracker, Free Shipping*

Good info all. A few points to ponder/consider when purchasing a signaling device.
The USCG will no longer monitor 121.5 MHz as of Feb 2009 for emergencys. The 406 MHz is much more reliable as it has fewer false activations.
NOAA SARSAT
The decision to stop satellite processing of 121.5 / 243 MHz signals is due to problems in this frequency band which inundate search and rescue authorities with poor accuracy and numerous false alerts, adversely impacting the effectiveness of lifesaving services. Although the 406 MHz beacons cost more at the moment, they provide search and rescue agencies with more reliable and complete information to do their job more efficiently and effectively. The Cospas-Sarsat Program made the decision to terminate 121.5/243 MHz satellite alerting services, in part, in response to guidance from the International Maritime Organization (IMO) and the International Civil Aviation Organization (ICAO). These two agencies of the United Nations are responsible for regulating the safety on international transits of ships and aircraft, respectively, and handling international standards and plans for maritime and aviation search and rescue. More than 180 nations are members of IMO and ICAO.

NOAA, along with the U.S. Coast Guard, U.S. Air Force, and NASA (the four Federal Agencies who manage, operate, and use the SARSAT system) are strongly advising users of 121.5/243 MHz beacons to make the switch to 406. Meanwhile, anyone planning to buy a new distress beacon may wish to take the Cospas-Sarsat decision into account.

Of the 3 sources sited above for PLBs, only one (the Mcmurdo) is a true PLB. (Personally, if you are gonna purchase a PLB, I highly recommend the ACR PLB. :wink:) The others may call themselves a PLB or EPIRB, but are not. With that in mind, the SPOT and Sea Marshall do not use the COSPAS-SARSAT satellite system. The Sea Marshall is used in conjunction with a DF using the 121.5 MHZ. Therefore somebody has to know you are missing, and have a SeaMarshall on you, and have activated it, for you to be found. This is typical of most MOB devices.

SPOT uses the GlobalStar private satellite system and you must pay a subscription fee and other fees for its use. Additionally the GlobalStar system is not monitored for distress signals. Through numerous testing SPOT cannot be considered reliable, even in pristine conditions. The average I have heard is about 70% success. Not good if you are depending your life on it.

Hope this clears things up a little.

I personally wouldn't use anything like Otterbox or equivelant cases. Although they say, watertight, they are not designed to handle the pressure that a diver may subject it too. I tried an Otterbox, for example, to slightly less than its rated depth and it failed.

Very good point, which is why I suggested contacting the companies to get the specifics about the rating of their cases.

Henrik

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom