Best signalling equipment from the searchers point of view

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have recently purchased a SPOT and freakin' love it! I've been in touch with the company about a case for it and the email back and forth seems positive.

On land, it seems to work real well, I'd say better than the 70% someone said. It all has to do with what is surrounding you. Open water, I've had 100% results from it. I've used the heck out of the Check-in feature, just recording waypoints with it.

I have a Coast Guard background and I remember the times we had to wait for another satellite pass before we started a search on an EPIRB. I don't believe that would apply to a SPOT because the distress situation goes through a call center, who then confirms a possible distress by making 2 phone calls to your own listed contacts. All they need is for one of those calls to say, "ya, he went out diving, he should be back now though..." Or, no answer, and the dispatch center calls the CG or whoever is appropriate.

I have recently purchased a SPOT and freakin' love it! I've been in touch with the company about a case for it and the email back and forth seems positive.

Are you corresponding with the company that manufacture/market SPOT about cases that will work with scuba diving ???? Regardless which company you are in contact with, if pricing is reasonable and the right design (not to bulky or square, but able to fit in a BCD pocket), I am ready to sign up for 2 cases.......

Are you corresponding with the company that manufacture/market SPOT about cases that will work with scuba diving ???? Regardless which company you are in contact with, if pricing is reasonable and the right design (not to bulky or square, but able to fit in a BCD pocket), I am ready to sign up for 2 cases.......

Yup, I've been talking with the SPOT company directly. I'd encourage you to shoot them an email as well. I figure if enough people ask for the same thing, they'll get the hint. marketing@findmespot.com

Take a look at this product and the related canister.
PLB

And here are some USCG advisories.
First
Second

I have not done any research on these, I just happen to come across this stuff.

Do you homework before you spend big $$$.

Here is some excellent information on the new PLBs from the NOAA website.

Go to the bottom of this page to get info on PLBs.
SARSAT-NOAA

Take a look at this product and the related canister.
PLB

And here are some USCG advisories.
First
Second

I have not done any research on these, I just happen to come across this stuff.

Do you homework before you spend big $$$.

Ya, I saw that canister, and it would work fine, but it is pretty bulky, and expensive. It costs more than the SPOT device does.

The notice about the disconinuation of certain frequencies doesn't mean epirbs won't work. Since there are already epirbs out there using 121.5, the CG will continue to monitor it. It's just that no new devices will use it. The SPOT uses it's own frequencies anyway.

The thingk to remember with 121.5 freq EPIRBs as well as the Air Force is going to stop monitoring the frequency on satellites so if you are using a beacon that ONLY transmits on 121.5 only somebody relatively close will be able to pick up a signal. No clue how far it travels on the ocean but I imagine it will be far enough.

OBXDiveGuy -- will the CG continue to monitor 121.5 even after AFRCC drops support, just not on anything new?

The PLBs are very cool from a search and rescue perspective. If you do invest in one make sure you get one with a GPS in it, the cheaper ones do not and if you are already spending that much for your safety might as well go all the way.

The SPOT device looks interesting, certainly a lot cheaper and even has a phone.

Sully29- Good links. For clarification, your second link in part:
<snip>121.5/243 MHZ EMERGENCY POSITION INDICATING RADIO BEACON (EPIRB) USE PROHIBITED
Mariners are advised that as of January 1, 2007 the operation of Class A, B, and S EPIRBs (Emergency Position Indicating Radio Beacons) is PROHIBITED. Refer to 47 CFR Parts 80.1051 through 80.1059. These FCC regulations apply to EPIRBs that transmit a distress signal to satellites on the 121.5 / 243 MHz frequencies. EPIRB owners must check the class or type of their beacons carefully, since both the illegal 121.5 MHz EPIRBs and the authorized 406 MHz EPIRBs contain a 121.5 MHz homing signal which is used for direction finding purposes. Also, 121.5 MHz Man Overboard Devices are not affected by these FCC regulations and are still legal for use.
What this means is that the 121.5MHz as of Feb 2009 no longer will be MONITORED by satellite for distress signals. The satellite system will be shut down in Jan 2009. It will still be used as a homing frequency though. The MOB (man overboard) devices will still work, providing that 1. you carry a device that can send the 121.5MHz signal, and 2. Somebody has the Direction Finding device to locate you. The 406 system has been the norm and is now going to be the backbone of all SAR (search and rescue) authorities around the globe.

The link in your second post is a very nice source for education of PLB vs. EPIRB, how they work, etc.

As I was looking over the thread, I see that others have already responded to the 121.5 MHz debate.

I remember the times we had to wait for another satellite pass before we started a search on an EPIRB. I don't believe that would apply to a SPOT because the distress situation goes through a call center, who then confirms a possible distress by making 2 phone calls to your own listed contacts. All they need is for one of those calls to say, "ya, he went out diving, he should be back now though..." Or, no answer, and the dispatch center calls the CG or whoever is appropriate.
With the new PLBs and EPIRBs, you have onboard GPS receivers that will pinpoint your position with an accuracy of 100 meters within 2-10 min of you activating the unit in an emergency. This enhances the 406 MHz triangulation data to such an extent that the logistics will already be in place by the time that the 406 positioning data is plotted. It will work EVERY SINGLE TIME and does not rely only on a clear view to the sky (no trees, canyons, obstructions, ravines, roof over your head..etc)
(written with help from a VERY knowlegable source of the COSPAS - SARSAT system and the technical aspects of the 406 MHz PLBs and EPIRBs)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom