Best underwater scooter for spear fishing | Tusa or Apollo?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For the most part you are talking about the same unit built under different names.
Dacor first came out with the SV-900 Seasprint and when they went out of business Apollo named it the AV-1 and then Tusa called it the SAV-7.

28035241885_da16659516_b_d.jpg

Last edited:
I see. Thanks so much! So it is fine to get either one of them, right? Can you recommend it? Any other brand you can recommend? Thanks so much!

Apollo and Tusa scooters are the same. Major option is lead-acid vs. Li Ion battery, latter at higher cost. These are easily the most common DPVs used off dive boats in SE FL.

If you're buying a brand new one then you'll want the Tusa since it can still be covered under warranty.
But I would just buy one off of Ebay or this forum, they come up quite often for under 1k.
As to which one you should get used, I guess that all depends on how many bells and whistles you want and the condition of the used ones. Keep in mind that the Dacor models haven't been made in over two decades and the Apollos are about just as old maybe slightly newer.

4854238711_91058aa90b_o_d.jpg

Me with my two Dacor Seasprints at Ginnie Springs just about to enter the main cavern. (1993)

I now own two Apollo AV-1's and one Dacor SV-900. One of the Apollo's is much newer than the two other scooters and is super fast compared to the other two. I set it to the slow setting (propeller pitch setting #3) and it runs at the same speed as the other two set at medium. I use Powersonic 28ah SLA batteries and just did two 80 minutes spearfishing dives last weekend on one battery and the unit still showed no signs of slowing down! I changed the battery for my third tank because I know the first battery wouldn't have gone through another whole tank. Also, at the slow speed setting, or when riding one of my two slower units at medium setting, all are PLENTY fast! They're great for Spearfishing and lobstering!

As a former President of Apollo USA I can attest to the fact that this fine company always continues to improve every product. This is their ethic. It was sometimes frustrating; we would get in a new shipment with a change in shape, color, materials, etc. and ask "why"? The answer was always the same: "Because it is better"

As a former President of Apollo USA I can attest to the fact that this fine company always continues to improve every product. This is their ethic. It was sometimes frustrating; we would get in a new shipment with a change in shape, color, materials, etc. and ask "why"? The answer was always the same: "Because it is better"
As a former President of Apollo USA, can you help guide me as to how I might determine the age of my Apollo AV-1 / Dacor SV-900 scooters based on their serial numbers?

As a former President of Apollo USA, can you help guide me as to how I might determine the age of my Apollo AV-1 / Dacor SV-900 scooters based on their serial numbers?
Check in with Monica @ the apollo USA website.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom