Bicuspid Aortic Valve/valve replacement and diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WanderLust68

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Good afternoon -

a few weeks ago I was diagnosed with a bicuspid aortic valve, mild regurgitation, borderline mild stenosis and 4.3cm aneurysm. Both my primary doctor and cardiologist say depending on how fast the aneurysm grows, it could be a while before I need surgery, but in the meantime neither would sign off on any paperwork supporting my dive habit.

so I have two questions for those who have been through this or have some background on the topic....

1. is there any depth I can descend to and be OK? For example...could I scuba or SNUBA to 15-20 feet? I had a dive trip planned to Coz this summer and was going to introduce my daughter to the world of diving. Since I'm prevented from going down...I was hoping there would be some wiggle room in that diving a very shallow depth would be OK...or taking her on a SNUBA excursion that goes down to 20 feet would be acceptable?

2. once my surgery comes around, I have the option for a mechanical valve replacement or a tissue valve. One dive website that had a lot of info on heart conditions and valve replacements didn't seem too favorable with mechanical valves and diving. Of those who have had the surgery and continued to dive...what have you done and what has been your experience?

Thanks for any input!

I'm surprised that nobody has commented on this yet. Just wondering as to how your Coz trip came out.

I don't have all of those, but I do have the bicuspid valve with stenosis (1.4cm). My original cardiologist said NO DIVING, not even in pool. Two years later he passed me to another doc who (after I passed a treadmill again) said no instructing, no deco and limit depth to 40ft. I've been pretty much staying to that.

I suspect the big thing would be your aneurysm, though. Good luck with that and stay safe.

Pete

Hi Pete -

thanks for the reply. I've had a couple doctors including my cardiologist say no to diving, with the caution being the aneurysm and the effect water pressure would do at any depth. My new doctor allowed me to do snorkeling and swimming with whale sharks but stay on top of the water.

I'd be curious what your new doctor would recommend regarding surgical options with regards to intent on continuing to dive.

There are a lot of unknowns here that prevent a really good answer to the question. These are things like what your ventricular function is, how dilated your heart is, whether you have had any rhythm disturbances, etc.

The big dangers of aortic regurgitation are heart failure and arrhythmias. Arrhythmias underwater are likely to be lethal, as you cannot do anything effective about them until the diver is out of the water, and that may be more time than the brain has. Heart failure will be exacerbated by immersion, because of the centralization of blood volume. And obviously, rupture of or leak from a thoracic aneurysm is a highly lethal condition even if it occurs on land and within reach of 911.

When you ask a physician to clear you to dive, what you are asking is that that doctor certify that you are unlikely to come to any harm while diving. Now, it may well be that the harm that happens would have happened anyway -- but your family is going to look at that form from the doctor and say, "He should never have let him do this!" This is why physicians are reluctant to clear patients with high-risk conditions, even if diving as an activity may not have any significant impact on the condition per se.

thank you TSandM for your reply. I'm not arguing the reasoning behind my doctor's recommendations and what you described provides more insight into my circumstances. Ideally, what I need now is to find a cardiologist or have access to one with knowledge of dive medicine who will work with my cardiologist at Mayo Clinic and help me to make the right decisions for surgical options and health care so that some day I can return to diving.

I had my mitral vavle replaced 4 yrs ago. I have since accomplished 100+ dives. I did have to jump thru some hoops to get my Dr signature, including the stress test to 13mets. I have had no issues diving, Its actually better than before surgery, no more dizziness. I have a mechanical valve and I am a little more careful than before...mostly because of the anticoagulants. I am more cautious on the boats, more conservative with my depths. I don't hang to close to the side of the boat waiting to get back in for fear of getting my head bumped. i don't do the swim-thru were I may get scratched up, I traded in my fullfit fins for those with booties. I have given up cold water diving. I been on a live a board in the Maldives and now getting ready for 3 weeks in Palau and Yap

Thank you PMM for your reply. I'm glad to hear you are doing well and are continuing to enjoy diving. Its good to hear stories like this.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom