Big Bay Point

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It is a crappy dive, but it's a good training location.
Innisfil has the horse racing track and slots, the cookstown outlet mall, the 400 antique bizarre and Innisfil beach park that is PACKED during the summer. Not to mention the comming BBP marina development. So they are doing ok for tourism.

I agree though, it is a shame that the shops ruined access to this site. A padi enviro clean up with an invitation to the local paper would have done wonders or even co-operation between shops to keep the limit of divers to 15 or so and carpool their students. You really only need that site for the deep dives in AOW.

There were lots of strategies suggested but all went of deaf ears.

It is unfortunate that acess is restricted, but I still support the measures in place. Your anger should be directed squarely at the shops not town council.

Cam

You mis-understand me, I have no anger about it. Personally I think its a dangerous place to dive, with lots of overhead boat traffic and not suitable at all for OW training.
As I mentioned. look at Innisfil's web pages and there is absolutely nothing about tourism and attractions. I guess if you know what's there or you see something driving by. So add up what I know about Innisfil, "No Parking if you're not a local" and no apparent attractions looking at their web pages and I'll travel to a different destination.

Kent

A padi enviro clean up with an invitation to the local paper would have done wonders or even co-operation between shops to keep the limit of divers to 15 or so and carpool their students.

The shop I was involved with at the time did three (that's 3!!!) PADI/Project AWARE beach/underwater clean-up and invited the press. But that doesn't sell papers like a bunch of whiny locals crying the blues that hoards of "foreigners" are ruining the peace and tranquility of Big Bay Point. We also proposed car-pooling and the council-man said that wasn't good enough.

You want to know where the majority of the garbage came from (I have over 160 dives at this location, so I'm not talking out of my ass here)...fishermen. Drunken, belligerent fishermen throwing their beer bottles, beer cans and other trash in the water, and worst of all, right beside the provide trash can. I got in an argument with some drunken schmuck after *I* went and picked up *HIS* trash from right beside the can and put it in the can. The jerk jumped down my throat that divers think we're better than locals. Drunken locals dropping garbage all over the place...DEFINITELY. Every animal should be intelligent enough not to crap where it lives...otherwise it should never have beaten Darwinism.

Let's face it, the ban had NOTHING to do with divers, garbage or ANYTHING else. It was a greedy person that lived beside the site and felt his property extended hundreds of meters past his property line. The same greedy person who sold his house now. If you think it has ANYTHING to do with garbage or not dropping a dime in town, well, then you're probably not bright enough to use life-support gear under the surface...

Anyway, this is a waste of my time and energy, you will continue to believe that the shops intentionally ruined the site and the ban was because no one supported the local economy (BTW, where IS the dive shop in Innisfil for divers to support???).

Last edited by a moderator:
Big Bay Point brings this out in people it seems.

No! Shoredivr it only does so when you have a PADI instructor with a negetive attitude towards divers, I thought there was a positive attitude module in the PADI IDC program. LOL

Hate to dig up an old nasty thread, but I was wondering if diving is actually permitted in BBP right now? My brother in law has a cottage on the water there and since im up there a few times every summer, wondering if its ok to dive and if so is it any good? Hes got a boat so wont be using any docks.

as far as I know its the parking issue , if you have a disabled parking permit there is a spot (1) to park in its a great training and gear try point...........as I am a disabled veteran I never had a parking problem ...your brother in law CAN get a parking permit for the area , so you could a way to park there .....unless its all changed I haven't been there in 2 years

Last edited:
The people who used to dive Big Bay Point are now diving at the dock next to the Shanty Bay boat launch. We are still disliked by many of the locals, but many have also been supportive. I've personally taken a lot of junk out of the water there.

You can get a parking permit from Oro-Medonte for the season for $110. I'm usually diving there once every week or two, and the divers are a friendly bunch. You can drop off your gear and park on the street in certain places too. I do the parking pass.

DM me if you need a buddy at Shanty Bay and I'll join you if I can.

are you saying anyone can buy a parking permit ?

Back
Top Bottom