Big foot fin options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drrich2

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi:

I've got size 15 feet. Makes finding good footwear a hassle sometimes. In scuba, I started out with 'booties' like many people, but switched to SeaSoft Sunrays (largest size, equivalent to a 13-14 shoe) for Bonaire, due to the nice thick sole needed for walking on iron shore. Snug fit, but not a problem. 3 mm boots.

I'm a recreational diver, no tec., mainly flutter kicking.

My fins for some time have been Atomic Aquatics 'Smoke on the Water' splits with included spring straps, XL (biggest they make).

In preparation for an anticipated/hoped for cold water diving trip next year, I bought a pair of SeaSoft Stealth boots - like the Sunrays, but 6 mm. Tried them out in a quarry, and yes, they keep my feet warm in cold water.

But on a recent fun group trip to Dale Hollow Lake in TN with Parrot Island Divers out of Nashville, using the Stealths and Atomics for 3 dives...my feet hurt. Not excruciating, but painful. And pulling a fin off a foot was a bit of an ordeal.

So I'm mulling over options. Turns out there aren't a lot of larger fin options, near as I can tell. Some I found...

Hollis F1 (I assume yellow tip vs. not is just cosmetic?). But I'm told they're heavy, and good for dry suit diving, for example, but I don't do any of that. I already use some weights in my rear trim pockets. Hollis F2 are lighter, but don't come in as large a size.

Scuba Pro Jet Fins (but apparently not the split version?).

XsScuba Turtle Fins.

Also have to wonder if I should wear a bigger boot.

Anyway, wondered what other big footed people do.

Thanks.

Richard.

Force Fin XXXLs will work for your needs (they are HUGE). If you are mostly flutter kicking the PROs would work but they are not good for Frog Kicks. Right now I cannot find any XXXLs on ebay - Force Fin has a pair of XXXLs PROs in black available on the web site - but they are not cheap - $289. But because of the foot pocket design they will eliminate the hurting feet.

You can add Bungie heel straps and comfort inserts that would allow you to use the fins with different thickness booties.

Hope this helps.

If you ever get over to one of the quarries in East TN - I can let you try a pair of XXLs (also several different styles).

I wear size 13 shoe (sometimes 13 is even small). I got a pair of the Hollis F2 fins a few years ago for travel and I've never looked back. I use them regularly in a quarry with 7mm boots. Now, size 15 is of course bigger, but here's the thing - the F2 are adjustable and I have them adjust halfway between the tightest strap and loosest strap setting. I'm sure the foot pocket would be big enough, so if you set the adjustment on the loosest setting, maybe they would be comfortable for size 15. If you can get your hands on a pair, I'd give it a try. Make sure to adjust the straps. They're fairly reasonable in price ($129us list), great in weight, with good power and maneuverability.

I have size 13 feet and finding a decent and comfortable fin was challenging for me. I found the biggest Mares Avanti Quatro worked great with a 5mm Scubapro XXL boat soled boot or a thick soled 7mm Aqualock boot. I have the ones without the spring straps and they are easy to get on and off for me (even with gloves on). I also have a pair of XXXL jet fins and the foot pocket is HUGE. You could get your size 15 feet in them with room to spare. My LDS only carried Aqualung fins and the biggest were tight with the 7mm boot. I was traveling and was able to stop at a Divers Supply in GA where I had access to a large sample of styles and brands. You have to try them on and see what fits because I found fins are just like boots. They vary from style to style and brand to brand. Good luck. Mike

OMS Slipstreams in XXL will fit fine. I have a 14EEE and they fit quite well. Dive Rite XT's in whatever their biggest size will be fine as well unless your foot is also incredibly wide. Neither of them are "easy" on flutter kicking, but frog kicking is a better kick for all diving unless you need to haul ass to get somewhere....

If you are considering a full foot fin (which will require the use of neoprene socks, not boots) in cold water, then take a look at the selection of fins we offer. These fins are inexpensive, powerful and comfortable.

We invested a good bit of capital to have an additional (larger than normal) footpocket mold fabricated for the size 15 guys.

Competition Freediver Fins | MAKO Spearguns

MCFF-2T.jpg

The yellow tip is just cosmetically different, I have read reports of the yellow bleeding into the black. Yes, they are a heavy, big fin with a very spacious foot pocket. I really liked them but unfortunately even the smallest wearing my dry suit were too big.

---------- Post added October 1st, 2015 at 10:13 PM ----------

The F2s also have a very spacious foot pocket but no idea if they'll accommodate size 15, I'm a 6.5 and the smalls are too big, I get lateral movement.

I wear size 14 shoes. For about fifteen years I have worn XXL Jetfins. I've found them to be comfortable for big feet and even better with bungee fin straps.
90400_1.jpg

DSCF2972.jpg

Bungee_strap.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom