Bigger tanks and dive ops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To complete parrotman's answer to the question in the context of Aldora Divers, the high pressure tanks they provide use the DIN (screw-in) type fitting. If your reg needs to be converted they provide the fitting and do the conversion when you drop your stuff with them before the first dive, and convert your reg back at the end of the trip. This is included in their pricing.

junko:
When you refer to 95s, 120s, etc., is that LP or HP?

It makes a diff for buoyancy, but whether it's a HP or LP, a 120 is a 120 in terms of the amount of gas it holds.

parrotman:
Aldora uses steel 120's, no extra charge and they are a bit negative, so you can use less lead on your weight belt.
I dive with a group of friends that are pretty much all over the board as to air consumption and with the 120's we were all able to dive with pretty much the same bottom time. At least for those that use alot of air. As an example, I breath like a fish and use very little air, where as some of my friends suck it up, so we were able to log 75 minutes on average per dive. Yes, I came up with a lot of air left, but the others were able to get really good bottom times for what they were used to. I think the big tanks are worth it even if they cost a bit more.

NO EXTRA CHARGE..........thats funny! 2 tank dive is $87 plus park fees. I love aldora but it is much more costly than other ops on the island.

sharky60:
we just were in Coz over labor day week and one of the guys on our dives was using 95's, he was burning quite a bit of air, as he come up before most of us using the regular 80's on must dives. we dove with Dive with Martin, don't know if they charge extra but they do have 95' and 120's from what i understand. your still going to limited to the DM's dive profile for the dive though as most likley most people on the boat will be using 80's.
better air consumption will come with experiance, you'll probably even notice on this trip as the week goes on your doing better.
just more food for thought,,

DWM offers AL 80's and SB steel 95's

familydiver:
To complete parrotman's answer to the question in the context of Aldora Divers, the high pressure tanks they provide use the DIN (screw-in) type fitting. If your reg needs to be converted they provide the fitting and do the conversion when you drop your stuff with them before the first dive, and convert your reg back at the end of the trip. This is included in their pricing.

Just dove with them last month. They have yoke steel 120's as well.....used them

I mean do the dive ops in Cozumel usually have HPs, LPs, or both?

ggunn:
It makes a diff for buoyancy, but whether it's a HP or LP, a 120 is a 120 in terms of the amount of gas it holds.

junko:
I mean do the dive ops in Cozumel usually have HPs, LPs, or both?

Liquid Blue are the new low pressure steel tanks that weigh slightly more than aluminum tanks

Living Underwater tanks are high pressure and very heavy

Aldora has a combination of both I think. You used to have to put a din adapter on your reg, but if I am not mistaken, they recently purchased tanks identical to the ones LB is using.

I don't know about DWM's steel 95's

thanks!

Christi:
Liquid Blue are the new low pressure steel tanks that weigh slightly more than aluminum tanks

Living Underwater tanks are high pressure and very heavy

Aldora has a combination of both I think. You used to have to put a din adapter on your reg, but if I am not mistaken, they recently purchased tanks identical to the ones LB is using.

I don't know about DWM's steel 95's

Can someone explain the differences between using high pressure or low pressure tanks? Are there advantages or disadvantages to either? Does using one or the other impact other areas of the dive?

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom