Black stinging "weed" underwater - what is it?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do any of you photographers have shots of Punta Tunich Dropoff for Dr. Bill? (That site's a carpet of them, so they should be very easy to see.)

drbill:
It would be interesting to see pix of this species
I only take pictures of things I like. :D Actually I'm sure I have one but it's easier to find someone else's example on the net. I don't want to post someone else's work so you'll have to click the link below. I think this is a good example of the one we're talking about?

http://reefguide.org/pixhtml/stingingbushhydroid1.html

I only take pictures of things I like. :D Actually I'm sure I have one but it's easier to find someone else's example on the net. I don't want to post someone else's work so you'll have to click the link below. I think this is a good example of the one we're talking about?

Stinging Bush Hydroid - Macrorhynchia robusta - Isla Mujeres, Mexico - Photo 1 - Tropical Reefs

Oh, yeah, that's the stuff all right. When the picture popped up it made me want to jump back from my computer. ;^)

:lol: Me too!

Gee, and all this time I thought this was just a cool looking coral. Glad we didn't brush up against it! Took last May on our trip.

Mike

web.jpg

Oh what a delicate, feather-like, airy, harmless looking little bush...:evil: As I mentioned, I have encountered this stuff twice....not something I want to happen again. Thanks for the photo Sue

Thanks to all for the information. I just returned from Coz yesterday and my Left hand shows the battle scars of some free floating nasties. I think the little college princesses next to me on the plane were afraid I was contagious. It was actually kind of fun in my own sadistic way:crafty:

Fortunately I've experienced a number of species of hydroid with stings that can cause welts, so I would recognize this critter as most likely one of that group. Don't remember seeing it further south in Belize, but knowing what it was I might have just ignored it. Thanks for the pix.

Whenever I talk to non-divers about diving, they always ask me if I'm scared of sharks. Of course, I put on my best "sea hunt" face and tell them that's all part of the job, nothing to worry about. I usually don't tell them what really hurts is the little stuff that doesn't move. If it's on a reef, looks helpless and can't possibly hurt you, It's full of stingers.
Someday I'll get home from Coz sting free.

Whenever I talk to non-divers about diving, they always ask me if I'm scared of sharks. Of course, I put on my best "sea hunt" face and tell them that's all part of the job, nothing to worry about. I usually don't tell them what really hurts is the little stuff that doesn't move. If it's on a reef, looks helpless and can't possibly hurt you, It's full of stingers.

On a long ago Coz trip, before I was a diver, while out snorkeling I picked up a bristle worm. Lesson learned, the hard way. ;^)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom