Bloody Mucous After Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i think for me i had nose surgery for e deviated septum. and that's when i get them only after diving - go figure

It's been literally years since I had a nosebleed, other than when diving. And to be honest, the bleeding has stopped by the time I'm getting out of the water, it's just the lovely red goopy leftovers. A couple of honks and it's all done. After a couple of unfortunate red splats on the deck I've learned to wait until I can get to a leeward rail.

I wonder if it might be the pressure on your ethmoid sinus cavity causing that.

I saw a lady get a nose bleed during an OW class. She had trouble descending (equalization issue) and we think she was trying to equalize too forcefully (either pressure or the nose pinching).

I have had mask bleeds on first day dives before. I Usually had some trouble equalizing and blew too hard trying instead of coming up a few feet. Other than the initial shock of seeing red instead of the ball of orange-yellow crap I usually hack up, I've never had any other issues. Had a dive master tell me it is from fine ruptured capillaries in my nasal passages that I've either squeezed to hard or blew too hard. It's never lasted once I'm out of the water. Keep in mind, a little blood goes a long way as far as coloring goes. It usually looks worse than it is. Balls of congealed blood on the other hand may warrant a dr's visit.

Jay

Back
Top Bottom