Blue Crush

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I saw Blue Crush this weekend. I really liked the movie. Now I wish I could learn how to surf. I have been to Hawaii before, but I didn't get to do anything like that.
Does anyone here on the board surf also?
I would love to hear some surfing stories!

Amber:droplet:

As a kid we went to Daytona Beach every year. I used to "Body Surf" and still do it now. But I've never stood up on the board. I guess its just the lazy mans way of surfing.
Its really a blast, though! Lots of fun!
My kids do it now too.

not yet...it is on my to do list, right after hang gliding...it is w/in the top 10 list of things to try before heading to the the "Big Drop Zone" in the sky......I am not sure if I am coordinated enough to be good at it.....I will atleast try...:D

Born and raised in Hawaii, but never learned to surf. Body surfing, yes (but not what you would call skilled), real surfing no. However, you will find that a large percentage of the kids here (mostly boys, but more girls are getting into it) start surfing from really young ages - like around 5.

Surfing is just a way of life here - you've got kids cutting school when the surf's up (can be a problem), businessmen using their lunch breaks to catch a few waves or coming into work at about 9:30 a.m. because they drove out to the North Shore at 6 a.m. to get some sets in.

Did the movie illustrate some of the quirks of the "surf culture" - women having to fight (in general) for respect from the male surfers, fighting for "territory" at surf sites, etc.?

chepar once bubbled...

Did the movie illustrate some of the quirks of the "surf culture" - women having to fight (in general) for respect from the male surfers, fighting for "territory" at surf sites, etc.?

Yeah- Exactly! In the movie the guys were always giving the girls a hard time and there was a scene in the movie where the girl took her non-surfing boyfriend to a surf site out of the way and this gang of guys came up and they all got into a territory fight.
Yeah all of that was in the movie. It was a pretty interesting movie. They filmed it all in Hawaii and didn't use any water tanks or green screens. It was all filmed in the ocean!
Amber

I've been out a few times off the outer beaches of Cape Cod, but I'm not such an avid surfer that I have a board of my own or anything. I've only been up for about a grand total of 15 seconds, and have only had to fight for a break once.

I actually had some guy threaten to call the cops if we didn't get off his set. He was in a competition of some sort, and I was with a long-time local who'd surfed there his whole life. After a heated argument (during which we invited him to swim in and call the police several times), we finally decided to move down the beach a bit... just in time for the tide change to move all the good waves over that way. :) Naturally, he now wanted to move to "our" break, and had to be gently reminded of an uncomfortable place his board could be shoved.

On an interesting side note, that was the same day an alledged 12' great white attacked a fish a sport fisherman had caught 4 miles away, off Chatham.

Back
Top Bottom