Blue water cohos

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cweg94

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone tried blue water diving for cohos in late august/early september? I was thinking of looking for birds and then getting in the water hoping there was some fish on the bait as well. Maybe this is just wishful thinking but it gets me through the day.

I've seen them in blue water... But it's tough. Good vis, bait ball, and they were on the outside of it out of view except for quick flashes. Humpback whales bubble net salmon, and they seem to be spooked of bubbles from divers. Snorkeling may work.... I know of at least one spearfisherman who used to hunt them while freediving.

Another option is to find the streams and pools that they spawn in and shoot photos in freshwater, or the salt just outside it... That's the easiest way to get salmon pictures, and you'll have no shortage of subjects. Just be very careful not to disturb the redds. In some streams/pools that may be nearly impossible and best to stay in the brackish water or salt to avoid disrupting spawning activities.

GoPro on a weighted tripod works really well for salmon pictures.

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking about spearfishing. I hadn't thought about the bubbles from scuba scaring the fish. They should be pretty close to the surface so I don't think freediving would be a problem though.

There's a spot near Gull Island in eastern Prince William Sound that would prove great viz and shallow water. I find lots of bait balls that hang by my boat looking from cover when the coho migration comes through. I've filmed ducks diving from the surface and swimming just below me while standing on top of my boat. Lots of coho swarming the area chasing fish. I think there's a strong possibility of getting in the water and filming ducks diving and salmon chasing these bait balls around.

[video=vimeo;148640964]https://vimeo.com/148640964[/video]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom