Boat capsized in pompano beach?

Discussion in 'Accidents and Incidents' started by deepstops, Nov 22, 2012.

1. deepstops

deepstops Blacklight Poster ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives:
    I've had two people call me to say a vessel engaged in dive charters capsized going through Hillsboro Inlet today. Anyone know anything?

Posted using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 24, 2012
  2. Fishpie

Fishpie Scuba Instructor

# of Dives: I'm a Fish!
    There's a pic in the Sun Sentinel.......looks like it was a catamaran with outboards.
    SFDH?

3. Zaixon

Zaixon Scuba Instructor

Just heard about this. Hope everyone is ok :-(

4. Jax

Jax Could not care less..... ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
  5. FritzCat66

FritzCat66 Florida Reef Cat ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
  6. Jax

Jax Could not care less..... ScubaBoard Supporter

Thanks, Fritz . . . . you need to keep clicking the links, as they update. So sad.

7. voodoo36

voodoo36 Angel Fish

Yes...confirmed that it was the Coral Princess and there has been 1 fatality.

8. tekkydiver

tekkydiver Regular of the Pub

Tough day for trying maneuver the Princess through the Hillsboro Inlet. I wonder if the release forms will hold up?

9. Chad Carney

Chad Carney Scuba Instructor

Dive Charter Capsized

PB220018.jpg PB220057.jpg PB220063.jpg PB220073.jpg PB220076.jpg PB220083.jpg

I was kayaking in the intracoastal near the inlet and saw them tow the Coral Princess back into Hillsboro Bay. Then I followed Seatow to see what they were going to do with the upsidedown 45' Corinthian Catamaran. I saw the captain and mate at the BSO dock but couldn't talk to them. A sad Thanksgiving day on the water.

Chad

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
    robbcayman, openmindOW and Chris12day like this.
  10. Nemrod

Nemrod Giant Squid

# of Dives:
    I am sorry to hear this and most particularly that there was a death. Very sad for everybody.

This inlet is known for large standing waves and often hazardous conditions for small craft even in otherwise generally benign conditions. Is it considered a navigable inlet by the CG? That is a large boat, must have been a big wave, they said a rogue wave, is that so?

I wish the best for all involved.

N

11. deeper thoughts

deeper thoughts Orca

# of Dives: 500 - 999
  12. seadawg

seadawg Captain

# of Dives:
    Very sad. My thoughts are with everyone involved.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

13. bilsant

bilsant Regular of the Pub

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    Deepest condolences for the injured and deceased divers, and a thought for everyone who even though they came out ok, were certainly traumatized by the experience. Also sorry for the owners and employees of SFDH....I've been on that boat a number of times and always had a positive experience with their operation.

Rough holiday....

Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  14. joh

joh Single Diver

# of Dives: 100 - 199

I have dived off that boat, and the identical catamaran boat SFDH operates, as well as the smaller Safari Diver sixpack boat, numerous times. Perhaps there was a mechanical issue. I remember my trips with SFDH and Capt. Dennis as professionally run, with personable and friendly treatment from the staff, and never any indication of any maintenance problems or issues (unlike certain other local dive operations). I will wait for the USCG findings to understand what happened. Right now, all affected individuals and their families, including the Captain and the SFDF staff, are in my prayers and thoughts this Thanksgiving evening. What a tragedy for all involved.

Magnolia3 and voodoo36 like this.
  15. Hetland

Hetland Loggerhead Turtle

# of Dives: 500 - 999
    A bit of Monday morning quarterbacking, but if that's the boat I think it is, I sure wouldn't be running trips in 5-7ft seas....

16. Fishpie

Fishpie Scuba Instructor

It's a very nasty inlet especially coming in on an outgoing tide even with just a small to moderate swell.
    As Nemrod correctly pointed out standing waves compounded by a swell makes entering very tricky and boats need to time their runs between the waves.
    Very easy to get broached which likely caused this capsize.

17. bilsant

bilsant Regular of the Pub

# of Dives: I just don't log dives
    I've been on that boat in over 7' seas and was quite comfortable...but remember holding my breath for a moment when we came out of the inlet...my reaction to how the ocean looked. The boat and Captain Dennis handled it beautifully that day and had us through the channel in no time.

I don't know what happened yesterday. I dove the beach in Hollywood a bit further south that morning and the surf wasn't more than 3', and was starting to flatten out as we were leaving.

openmindOW likes this.
  18. Chad Carney

Chad Carney Scuba Instructor

There are worse inlets in FL. Hillsboro Inlet slants SE to NW, so swells out of the NE are perpendicular to it.

It was a strong incoming near high tide as I paddled out to the Hillsboro Inlet, even a few hours later it was just barely incoming, when I took this last photo of SFDH and the sistership of the Coral Princess. Note the height of the deck above the seawall. You can see the high tide on the sea walls in some of my other pics too. Wind has been consistent NW to NNW.

Hurricane Sandy caused a lot of beach errosion which has changed the surf conditions as well. Surfers have been loving it.

Chad

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
    Jax likes this.
  19. deepstops

deepstops Blacklight Poster ScubaBoard Sponsor

# of Dives:
    Chad's account is correct, it was an incoming tide with virtually glassy conditions near shore with about a 4' swell rolling in from the NE. This event just seems freakish to me. I've been out on a different Corinthian Cat in 5-8' conditions (Biscayne National Park many years ago) and it handled it quite well.

openmindOW likes this.
  20. Fishpie

Fishpie Scuba Instructor

I have to agree, freakish.
    Cats are very stable craft...up to the point that they aren't....
    I'd rather be on a cat than some of the other dive boats that use that inlet.

The point made by Chad about Sandy moving things about may well have some relevance.