Boat capsized in pompano beach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's a few more pics from T-Day, note the sand bar in front of the jetty at a pretty high tide, that's very different.
And south of the inlet the beach is all but gone. Many of the north most homes had water in their yards & pools. The last one had the ocean cut through and blow out his seawall on the inside of Hillsboro Bay.

Attachments

• PB220014-HI1.jpg
    PB220014-HI1.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 423
  • PB220011-HI2.jpg
    PB220011-HI2.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 487
  • PB220013.jpg
    PB220013.jpg
    22.3 KB · Views: 398
I have to agree, freakish.
Cats are very stable craft...up to the point that they aren't....
I'd rather be on a cat than some of the other dive boats that use that inlet.

I was wondering about the shape of the craft. The vessels I've worked off have always been mono-hulls, deep V or just big big. That is the inlet closest to my house so we use it regularly, what I have is a small 23' mono-haul. I've lost count of many times I've gone under the bridge, look out and just turn around because it looked like it wasn't going to be any fun.

But I've also heard cats are very stable, now looking at the vessel upside side down, the twin hulls are flat just a couple of feet bellow the water line. Is this a real Cat? to me it looks more like a modified pontoon vessel, I've seen smaller cats on trailers with hulls shaped like V's, I would say THOSE are very stable.

According to the website for Corinthian, their 45' vessel hull draft is just 10" (not including the lower units on the outboards). Combined with the beam, in my experience, these vessels are generally very stable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

What a tragedy.

---------- Post added November 23rd, 2012 at 11:42 AM ----------

Ana, they're sorta like giant pontoon boats, with fiberglass pontoons.

---------- Post added November 23rd, 2012 at 11:43 AM ----------

Last edited by a moderator:
This is a copy of a very similar incident that happened in Baltimore in 2004. It completely rewrote the rules for performing stability tests on pontoon boats, and indeed, caused the Coast Guard to reevaluate the weight of Americans, effecting the stability calculations of all inspected vessels. The Lady D was significantly smaller than the vessel in question, but didn't carry the dive gear, either. US rules state that, for every diver you have on board, you must reduce the number of passengers by 1/2, as they assume each diver carries 92.5 lbs of gear.

http://www.ntsb.gov/doclib/reports/2006/MAR0601.pdf

One of the things that can happen to pontoon boats that don't happen to true catamarans or monohulls is that if the boat is in a following sea, it lifts the stern and buries the front of ONE pontoon. If both pontoons bury, there is enough reserve buoyancy to bring them both back afloat. In the case of one pontoon pitch poling, though, the pontoon wants to keep heading down. Anyone who has pitch polled a hobie cat can attest. Keep the pontoon on the surface, life is good, but let it go under just a little bit and it's bad. A true catamaran has hull between the hulls, so even if you bury one side, the deeper you go, the more buoyancy is generated. With a pontoon boat, there is a platform between the hulls, and if you get it in the water, it works to drive the pontoon even deeper.

I wasn't there, so I can't comment on specifics, but I'd guess that they took a following wave not exactly on the stern. It raised the stern, but not squarely, pitch poling the boat.

I've never driven a Corinthian, never driven a boat of any kind through Hillsboro Inlet, and don't know how big the swell was down there that day. I do know that the coast guard doesn't wrap up investigations with "it was an unavoidable accident" too much, and I'll bet a Klondike bar that the captain will be crucified. I don't know the guy, but I'm sure he's suffering enough all by himself. My heart goes out to him and the victim's family, I'm sure there's a lot of pain on both sides of that fence.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom