Boat capsized in pompano beach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As far as Hillsboro inlet, that is the only place I can honestly say I don't know what I don't know. I only go out when seas are small but you can't predict how are they going to be on the way back, I pay attention to not get close to the rocks, to be perpendicular to the waves, to have good distance from other boats, but it feels like there's always a ghost waiting for me to get distracted or something.
All the events on inlets are sudden, you always hear about a vessels just sinking or tipping over in a instant. I hate to be paranoid but is weird, seems like nothing for months/years.... then one day boom a vessel than goes in and out several times a day, every day capsizes... wtf?

Last edited by a moderator:
From my understanding these inlets create a current rip which creats these type of problems. The Cap. needs to have the understanding, experience and know-how to navitgate them. The navy at one point looked into the design of the Cats. for their large ships, which I assume would mean they are stable. Was talking with an ex-Marine that used to teach the Nav. and boat schools in the Marines and he mentioned this concept of the currents, high tides and such happening in these inlets. He also mentioned that it had happened in the Marine Corp and several guys were lost to this concept of the perfect conditons waters.

I feel for those affected, on thanksgiving of all days, could have been any of us on that boat. I am curious and am subscribing to see the report of what happens.

The Medical Examiner on Friday ruled the Thanksgiving Day death of a diver aboard a capsized boat a drowning. - South Florida Sun-Sentinel.com

The above link has the full story in the Sun-Sentinel and below is some info quoted in the story on the conditions on Thanksgiving day:
By most accounts, Thursday was a beautiful day for a dive once you got in or out of the tight inlet with its rocky, jagged borders.

Although it was a cool, clear and sunny day, Thursday saw extremely rough seas, generating what forecasters call "row waves" of up to 13 feet. "If that ship hit one of the row waves, I can see why it flipped over," said meteorologist Barry Baxter of the National Weather Service in Miami. Baxter said a mix of weather factors conspired to produce high seas and big waves, starting with strong winds, gusting to 25 mph or more. Because the winds
were blowing to the south, they clashed with the north-flowing Gulf Stream current, kicking up the seas. Additionally, large swells developed as a result of a strong low-pressure system off the Mid-Atlantic coast, further building up the ocean. When rough seas move across the Hillsboro Inlet, it can turn into a "drowning machine," said Jim Lushine, a retired weather service forecaster. "The problem is that the inlet faces to the southeast. When very strong
northeast waves and swells occur, the inlet can be very dangerous," he said. He added, "Local marine people in that area know how dangerous the inlet can
be and it's a shame that this boat went out under these hazardous conditions."

Yes, Corinthians are very stable boats. I have operated many trips as a 100 Ton Captain
Yes, more than likely the Corinthian pitch poled and a wave forced the stern of the boat ass over teacup (aka stern over bow).

But what do I know, I'm just a 100 Ton Captain with experience on Corinthians and a REAL commercial diver (not a hull scrubber, but the Gulf of Mexico oil rig type).

HEHE.... sorry, i'm abnoxious as always.

She was ID'ed in the press. A scientist that dealt with radiation standards in the workplace. A relative from the NE had traveled down specifically to go diving with her out of Pompano.

New Mexico woman dies when Fla. dive boat capsizes - Yahoo! News

New Mexico woman dies when Fla. dive boat capsizes
By SUZETTE LABOY | Associated Press – 4 hrs ago

MIAMI (AP) — A diver from New Mexico who died in a Thanksgiving Day boating accident was a manager at one of the nation's leading research laboratories who was in Florida for a holiday dive trip with her nephew, authorities said Friday.
The Broward County Medical Examiner ruled Friday that Nina Poppelsdorf, 54, drowned after Thursday when a large wave flipped over a 45-foot catamaran carrying her and nearly two-dozen others.

The Sandia Park, N.M., woman died at a hospital after the Coral Princess capsized, said Broward Sheriff's Office spokeswoman Dani Moschella. Witnesses said the boat was approaching the Hillsboro Inlet in Pompano Beach when a wave 8 to 10 feet high flipped the twin-hulled craft.
Poppelsdorf was in Florida with her nephew, who is from Pennsylvania. "They just went on this fun trip together to just do dives," Moschella said. "So this is especially tragic that it was on Thanksgiving and it ended in tragedy."

Poppelsdorf was a senior manager of the radiation protection, industrial hygiene and safety center at Sandia National Laboratories, lab spokeswoman Heather Clark said. She was hired in August 1992 at the lab, a federal research and development center.
"She was recently promoted to senior manager and was well-respected by her peers and staff alike. Her contributions to improving safety at Sandia are numerous and she will be missed as both a member of the Sandia family and as a wonderful person," said Sandia Environment, Safety & Health director Sid Gutierrez, her supervisor.

Darrell Fong, a Sandia Labs safety engineering manager who worked with Poppelsdorf, said she was admired for her professionalism and easily identified by her laugh. "She had a great laugh. Everyone could recognize her laughter. They'd say, 'Oh, there's Nina.'" Fong said.

Poppelsdorf was a leader of a Sandia team that helped in the response to the crisis at Japan's Fukushima nuclear plant after the March 2011 earthquake and tsunami left several reactors there without cooling water, Fong said. He also said Poppelsdorf was a certified diving instructor.
The Coral Princess is a Corinthian catamaran owned by South Florida Diving Headquarters in Pompano Beach. A phone message left Friday by The Associated Press for the owner of the boat was not immediately returned.

Three of the 23 people on the boat were treated and released. Most of them were from out of town on vacation, authorities said
Officials said nearby boaters jumped into the water to pull people to safety. Pompano Beach Fire Rescue workers used personal watercraft to get to the site. The U.S. Coast Guard and other state and local agencies assisted in the rescue.
The accident remains under investigation.
___
Associated Press writer Bob Christie in Phoenix, Ariz., contributed to this story.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom