Boat cleaning fatality - Fort Myers, Florida

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For those of you who are skepticle of the bird on a wire not getting injured check this video. It's the man on the wire equivalent.

If you are ever in a car which has powerlines fallen on it, then you can get out so long as you do not put any part of your body on the ground a different distance from the car. So, you need to hop away from the car at right angles, not step or crawl. This is because there is no difference in resistance (I think that is the reason - correct me if I am wrong) in your body if you hop.

If you are ever in a car which has powerlines fallen on it, then you can get out so long as you do not put any part of your body on the ground a different distance from the car. So, you need to hop away from the car at right angles, not step or crawl. This is because there is no difference in resistance (I think that is the reason - correct me if I am wrong) in your body if you hop.
Not me. My understanding is that the electricity will flow around you safely as it heads to ground thru the carbon in tires, but even if you hop - it will jump thru your body as a better conductor, even if it has to jump some air between you are the car or ground. I'm staying put until the power company arrives to turn it off and give the all clear, for a few hours anyway.

Agree I would not get out of the car myself unless it was about to explode or catch fire.

The car is a faraday cage. As long as you are inside you are okay. Just stay put. If there is afire or some other motivator, jump. Just keep in mind water surrounding the car may also be electrified, so make sure jumping for it is the only choice.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom