Body Glove co-founder Bob Meistrell dies on boat returning from Catalina Island

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MaxBottomtime

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Bob Meistrell, a surfing and diving legend who co-founded Body Glove with his identical twin brother, Bill, died Sunday, the company announced. He was 84.
Meistrell was on his boat, the Disappearance, on a return trip from Catalina Island when he had a heart attack and could not be revived, Body Glove International President Russ Lesser wrote in an email.
"His motto was 'Do what you love, love what you do,' " Lesser said. "He will be greatly missed."
With his brother, who died at 77 in July 2006, Meistrell launched a company designing, manufacturing and selling the first commercially viable neoprene wetsuits.
They had joined the fledgling Dive N' Surf shop in Redondo Beach in 1953, and became sole owners by 1957. It was several years afterward that they'd coined the term Body Glove -- a logo that today adorns swimsuits, trunks and much more.
The company plans this year to celebrate its 60th anniversary.
"To our knowledge, Body Glove is either the only original 'surf' company left that is still privately owned and operated by the family that started it, or one of very few," Lesser's email said. "It is a shame that Bob will not be able to be with us during the 60th anniversary celebration."
kristin.agostoni@dailybreeze.com

Body Glove co-founder Bob Meistrell dies on boat returning from Catalina Island - The Daily Breeze

I was talking to Billy yesterday. He was a bit sad that Bob didn't get to finish his book or see the renovation of Dive 'n Surf. I told him that Bob had accomplished so much that I'm sure he had no regrets. The Disappearance docks close to the No Pressure. I'll miss Bob waving to us each weekend as he raced by.

Yea, I'm a day late and out of touch. OUCH!!! Known the family for many years, went to many meetings and parties at their "resort" in Ho Riv. Used to live around the block. Got to dive off the big boat ;~}
Bill was THE MOST inspirational person in my dive life!! Period!
Nuff said, im cryin now...

Back
Top Bottom